Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard drive use with Mac Mini

I am considering purchasing a 2018 Mac Mini with the standard 258GB SSD drive then purchasing an external 500GB SSD drive or 1TB external drive depending on the cost. I want to keep all applications on the 258SSD drive but put all additional information on the external drive. Is there any issues that I should be aware of using the external hard drive that way

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 12:23 PM

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, you could off-load your Home Folder to it but it over-complicates things. You can alternatively store singular data on it, but if you were to do that, there should be redundancy. Ideally look at some low-cost RAIDs either from LaCie or G-Tech. Also have another USB hard drive setup as the Time Machine backup to the internal SSD.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2019 12:23 PM in response to Iza'sNetwork

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, you could off-load your Home Folder to it but it over-complicates things. You can alternatively store singular data on it, but if you were to do that, there should be redundancy. Ideally look at some low-cost RAIDs either from LaCie or G-Tech. Also have another USB hard drive setup as the Time Machine backup to the internal SSD.

Jan 17, 2019 3:07 AM in response to Iza'sNetwork

Make it 2 drives. One needs to be a backup of the other. Trusting

your digital data to a single device is an accident waiting to happen.

As far as what goes where, internally, keep your home folder there

and only put additional things that you really require. Items like iTunes

libraries, Photos libraries, and any other media which are generally the

biggest space hogs, put them on the external and anything else that you

typically do not need daily access to.

Jan 17, 2019 8:43 AM in response to Iza'sNetwork

See this article for an easy solution. Apple has made this very easy and painless to do and its what I did for my wife's work computer when she outgrew her mini's internal drive. Another good solution is to purchase a Thunderbolt external drive. Thunderbolt's speed would allow you to put everything on it.

Don't forget, if you do use the external for your home account you'll need a second external for backups. And yes, TM can back up both the internal drive and the external home drive.

External Hard drive use with Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.