Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different power options.

What is the difference between logging off, locking, or putting your mac to sleep exactly?

I understand the "Shut Down" button.

Trying to figure out which setting is better for me for setting up my shortcuts and which I would more likely use.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 1:15 AM

• Logging off closes all the applications being used and then go back to the log in screen that you see when you perform a startup
  • Locking keeps everything open and requires that current users password be entered to regain use of the computer.
  • Sleep is a low power state where that everything currently open is saved to disk and the screen goes blank. This uses very little power and when you wake the computer by mouse or keyboard action it is very fast to regain use of the computer.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2019 1:15 AM in response to Equestrian116

• Logging off closes all the applications being used and then go back to the log in screen that you see when you perform a startup
  • Locking keeps everything open and requires that current users password be entered to regain use of the computer.
  • Sleep is a low power state where that everything currently open is saved to disk and the screen goes blank. This uses very little power and when you wake the computer by mouse or keyboard action it is very fast to regain use of the computer.

Jan 16, 2019 7:30 PM in response to Equestrian116

<<"I understand the "Shut Down" button. ">>

I am not sure you do. There is no generally available single button that accomplishes an organized shut down for most Macs. In most cases, pressing and holding the power button causes an emergency power-off, not recommended for daily use because it does not "put away" the disk Drive directory properly.

Only choosing Shut Down off the  Menu causes a proper, organized shut down, and there is one-key keyboard shortcut.

Different power options.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.