Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Not Accepting my Password

I recently changed the password to one of my email accounts. It was working fine , but beginning yesterday I can't send any mail from it, without the popup window asking for the password, and telling me it's incorrect, every time I put in the correct one! I'm receiving mail for that account just fine, I just can't send any, which is pretty odd. Any ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 6:34 PM

Well, after wasting nearly an hour with the tech from Earthlink, he turned me over to his supervisor, who only then told me they aren't that well equipped to help people on Macs!! So I jumped in and deleted the server info, and re-inputted the info & password, and I think it's now working!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2019 6:34 PM in response to Eric Root

Well, after wasting nearly an hour with the tech from Earthlink, he turned me over to his supervisor, who only then told me they aren't that well equipped to help people on Macs!! So I jumped in and deleted the server info, and re-inputted the info & password, and I think it's now working!

Jan 17, 2019 1:20 PM in response to Saxman

You are welcome. Adding it back should fill in the blank information such as the path prefix. If you can manually add it back, that should work, but I don't know the server settings.

If you want to save your emails, select the mailbox, then Mail/Mailbox/Export Mailbox. That should make a backup copy. I'll post some troubleshooting links.

Mail (El Capitan): Mail troubleshooting

Mail (El Capitan): If you can’t send messages

Mail not sending or receiving messages after updating OS X

Jan 17, 2019 1:05 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the answer about the time, Eric, I figured it was GMT (however, they should've left it with US time, as I'm sure very few Americans know how many hours difference there is with us and GMT)...

Anyway, I'm leery about deleting the account, as it will delete all the emails. And backing them up didn't do me much good when I updated my OS a while back. When I called support, they told me my back up folder didn't actually have the emails on my computer, so I couldn't just load them back in. It was a Twilight Zone moment for sure, as I could see the folder, and it was a large one, so they were in there, but she said no. I forgot at this point how I actually was able to retrieve them.

How would it work if I deleted it, and then recreated it? Why is there no other option to have it work? And why would it work fine for incoming and not outgoing? Does it matter that when I click on "Advanced" in the Accounts window, that it shows the account name, but for "path prefix" it's blank?

Mac Mail Not Accepting my Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.