Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail keeps asking for password

I am using an IMAC with OS X 10.12.4.

The mail app won't allow me to send email from one account. The lightning bold icon appears next to the account in the side bar.

When pressing on the lightning bolt icon I get the error box "can't connect to the account" and it asks for my password.

I have verified, thru web mail (AOL) that the password is correct.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 12:32 PM

Try the below before deleting. Can you send from the account?

Deleting the account will not delete the account from your devices. The email from the server should download again.

Mail (El Capitan): Mail troubleshooting

Mail (El Capitan): If you can’t receive messages

Mail (El Capitan): If you can’t send messages

Mail not sending or receiving messages after updating OS X

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2018 12:32 PM in response to KGBRE

Try the below before deleting. Can you send from the account?

Deleting the account will not delete the account from your devices. The email from the server should download again.

Mail (El Capitan): Mail troubleshooting

Mail (El Capitan): If you can’t receive messages

Mail (El Capitan): If you can’t send messages

Mail not sending or receiving messages after updating OS X

Nov 8, 2018 10:33 AM in response to Eric Root

When I click Mail>Preferences>then click the minus icon (+ -), a pop up says that the AOL a/c is shared in iCloud Keychain, and that , "you can remove this account from iCloud in internet Accounts". It has a cancel option, and an Internet Accounts option.

Since this account is working on my other devices (iPhone and iPad) won't this eliminate the account on those devices as well?

I have attempted to copy emails, but don't know how successful I was. Of 148,000 items, it gave me a message that 62,000 failed to copy.

Are there additional steps I will need to go thru if I remove, then add back this account? Will the emails on the server (it's an imap a/c) populate the account once its restored?

thx

mail keeps asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.