Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not export from iMovie 10.1.10

I've done my second simple iMovie project. An 8 minute video of some clips and added some sound effects and titles. I've tried every export option on the menu and nothing happens at all. I can't save a file to the desktop. This is really weird. I'm afraid to close the program and lose everything. What can be wrong?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 5:06 PM

Hi,

iMovie automatically saves your work as you edit your project. Closing iMovie will not cause you to lose the project.

Try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your project.

If the above doesn't solve it, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste the media into a newly created project. Try to share out from there.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2019 5:06 PM in response to JG Here

Hi,

iMovie automatically saves your work as you edit your project. Closing iMovie will not cause you to lose the project.

Try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your project.

If the above doesn't solve it, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste the media into a newly created project. Try to share out from there.

-- Rich

Jan 17, 2019 5:20 PM in response to Rich839

Glad to hear that I will not lose anything. I duplicated the project (for safety) and re-started iMovie and the export function returned! Before I did, it was apparently hung up on a loop of some sort in the background, trying to process and create a video that it was not succeeding with. I couldn't eject an external drive, said it was 'in use by an app'. I figured it was iMovie. Got my movie done now. Thanks.

Can not export from iMovie 10.1.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.