Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting in imovie halted

Hi,

I cannot seem to get imovie to export the movies any more. The circle that shows progress pops up for a millisecond then vanishes.

I've cleared space in my computer, and I've deleted the preferences in imovie and still no luck.

During the pandemic shelter in place I have to shoot a bunch of demos for students, and this problem has just started. I don't have time to learn a whole new application, since it also has to run on google classroom and the .mov's were working great for a while. Please help!

thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 12:16 PM

Hi, Lightbug 1,

Try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately reboot in normal mode. Don't try to open iMovie in Safe Mode because it will not do so. After rebooting in normal mode, see if you can share out.

If Safe Mode doesn't solve it, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your

iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

If still not working, and if you haven't already tested with another project, try creating a new project and see if you can share out with different media and also with the same media that you are working with now.

Another thing that you can try is to create a new user account (System Preferences/Users and Groups) and see if iMovie will share out in the new user account.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 12:16 PM in response to Lightbug1

Hi, Lightbug 1,

Try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately reboot in normal mode. Don't try to open iMovie in Safe Mode because it will not do so. After rebooting in normal mode, see if you can share out.

If Safe Mode doesn't solve it, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your

iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

If still not working, and if you haven't already tested with another project, try creating a new project and see if you can share out with different media and also with the same media that you are working with now.

Another thing that you can try is to create a new user account (System Preferences/Users and Groups) and see if iMovie will share out in the new user account.

-- Rich

Apr 12, 2020 8:00 AM in response to Lightbug1

You can try exporting the clip with QuickTimePlayer for a re-encoding.

Also, your Mac has a built-in re-encoder. Control-click on the clip in the Finder and

from the drop down menu, select Encode Selected Video Files.

Hopefully the re-encoded files will share out. You probably want to work with duplicates of your clips to preserve your original coding in the originals

-- Rich

Exporting in imovie halted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.