Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie keeps crashing during export after updating to 10.2.4

Hello since my iMovie updates yesterday and it keeps crashing during export. When I click on export it crashes. I did re start the app and the MAC. I checked my Mac and it is up to date.

Please advice how I can export my movie or if I can export it from the folder not the app.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 9:10 AM

With crashing issues, nothing to do but try a few things to see if you can isolate the conflict.

Try shutting down your Mac and rebooting in Safe Mode. (See the Finder help menu for directions.) Once everything loads, immediately shut down again and reboot in normal mode. See if that cures the problem.

Possibly there is some corruption in the movie that is causing the crash. Or the issue is confined to one project. Try creating a new project and populate it with different media from the first project and see if you can successfully export.

Check to see that you have sufficient internal drive space for iMovie to operate efficiently, and sufficient space on the destination drive to receive the movie.

You can also try creating a new library, copying your project to it, and seeing if it will share out from there.

Finally, if still having crashing issues, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

All else failing, try contacting Apple Support. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 9:10 AM in response to Dianarayyan

With crashing issues, nothing to do but try a few things to see if you can isolate the conflict.

Try shutting down your Mac and rebooting in Safe Mode. (See the Finder help menu for directions.) Once everything loads, immediately shut down again and reboot in normal mode. See if that cures the problem.

Possibly there is some corruption in the movie that is causing the crash. Or the issue is confined to one project. Try creating a new project and populate it with different media from the first project and see if you can successfully export.

Check to see that you have sufficient internal drive space for iMovie to operate efficiently, and sufficient space on the destination drive to receive the movie.

You can also try creating a new library, copying your project to it, and seeing if it will share out from there.

Finally, if still having crashing issues, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

All else failing, try contacting Apple Support. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

Jun 20, 2021 8:11 AM in response to Diana Rayan

Sometimes updating can cause preferences to be corrupted. Try deleting and resetting the preferences. To do that, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your projects.

-- Rich

iMovie keeps crashing during export after updating to 10.2.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.