Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.1.12, High Sierra exporting limitations

I cannot seem to export a movie that is 1080, the option is 720(60) which I can't even shoot in.

I tried putting a 1280x720 black jpg first, also tried selecting all and creating a new movie and pasting in.

Ideas? Thanks

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 10:54 AM

Hi,

To confirm that you are following the correct procedure, you need to place a 1080 video clip (not a photo) as the first clip added into a newly created project in order for iMovie to set the project at 1080. Then you should have a 1080 export option. If you are doing that and still don't get a 1080 export option, then delete preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Create a new project. Place a known 1080 clip into it as the first clip added. Now see if you have a 1080 export option.

-- Rich

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 10:54 AM in response to ugmold

Hi,

To confirm that you are following the correct procedure, you need to place a 1080 video clip (not a photo) as the first clip added into a newly created project in order for iMovie to set the project at 1080. Then you should have a 1080 export option. If you are doing that and still don't get a 1080 export option, then delete preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Create a new project. Place a known 1080 clip into it as the first clip added. Now see if you have a 1080 export option.

-- Rich

Jan 16, 2020 11:13 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich,

I actually did try the video that I shot as 1st frame with no luck which is set to 1920x1080 in my camera.

While I was waiting for a response I decided to export the video at 720p(60) and I opened it in Quicktime, looked at the Inspector and it says it is 1280x720?

What is going on. I read in another post that a recent update may be to blame.

Jan 16, 2020 7:40 PM in response to ugmold

O.K. If your first clip is in fact 1980p and the iMovie project settings are showing 720p 60 fps, then iMovie is not functioning correctly. Since deleting preferences didn’t cure it, try redownloading iMovie. To do that drag your iMovie app from the Applications folder into the Trash, but don’t empty the trash. Then sign into the app store and click on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar to open your account. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie. Download it from there. (If the download is unavailable, drag your old iMovie from the trash and return it to the Applications folder.) Now see if you get the correct export option.

— Rich

Jan 17, 2020 7:22 AM in response to Rich839

Ok, I reinstalled iMovie as per your instructions, when I launched it, it seemed to find the Library and my project came up fine. Went to Share and the same option came up 720p 60fps.

I checked my original media in the finder and quicktime says it is1920x1080.

Tried copy and paste into new movie and it is the same as well.

Jan 17, 2020 7:49 AM in response to ugmold

Something does seem amiss, or we are missing something. It appears that either iMovie isn't functioning correctly or your clip is not 1080. Double check the resolution by opening the clip in QuickTimePlayer and doing a Window/Show Movie Inspector.

If the resolution checks out as 1080 then you might consider calling Apple Support and see if they can help. To do that click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen and navigate to a phone number. Apple Support has the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we cannot do here.

You might also consider updating your iMovie and upgrading your High Sierra to current versions. Catalina is the current OS version. However, Catalina won't support 32 bit applications, so if you rely on any older 32 bit applications you might not want to do the upgrade yet. Also, during its breaking in period Catalina has exhibited some quirks that have not yet been fully worked out. The new Photos 5 in particular, that is built in to Catalina, has had a lot of issues.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.