Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't export videos in 1080p?

I have opened iMovie to export a very time sensitive document but the option for 1080p is greyed out. I know it's not the resolution of the video as it is well above 1080p and I can't even export past iMovie projects, including one I exported in 1080p last night. Now the only option is 720 and 540p. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 6:49 PM

What is the resolution set for the project? Click on the Settings button to the right and above the timeline. Look at the little box at the top of the dialogue box that appears to find out the resolution set for the project. If the project resolution is a lower number then your export options will be limited. You would need to create a new project and put a known 1080 video (not photo) clip into it as the first clip added. That would set the project at 1080. Then close the project, reopen, and delete the clip.

If the above is not your issue, then try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back

to your projects. Now see if you get a 1080 share option.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 6:49 PM in response to zak211

What is the resolution set for the project? Click on the Settings button to the right and above the timeline. Look at the little box at the top of the dialogue box that appears to find out the resolution set for the project. If the project resolution is a lower number then your export options will be limited. You would need to create a new project and put a known 1080 video (not photo) clip into it as the first clip added. That would set the project at 1080. Then close the project, reopen, and delete the clip.

If the above is not your issue, then try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back

to your projects. Now see if you get a 1080 share option.

-- Rich

Can't export videos in 1080p?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.