Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Cropping Off Top of Menu Bar

Hi,

iMovie is cropping off the top half of the menu bar while I am creating a demo video for my application:

• Created several QuickTime screen recordings of my application including the menu bar -- the recordings have the entire menu bar (there are several recordings because I am recording this 10 minute video in pieces)
  • Brought those recordings into an iMovie project
  • Used "Fit" for the crop on each recording (I am not using "Crop to Fill")
  • Added voice overs for those recordings in iMovie
  • The top half of the menu bar is cut off in the output video

If I bring one of those recordings into an empty project and do a Picture-in-Picture overlay over a black screenshot, then I can see the entire menu bar. But I have found no way to do the Picture-in-Picture trick for all of the clips.

After 6 hours of trying, Google-ing fixes, and watching lots of YouTube videos I don't know what else to try.

How can I make this video without the menu bar cut off?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 8:07 AM

Try deleting preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command

keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your iMovie screen displays properly. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If deleting preferences does not solve it, try these two procedures, particularly the PRAM/NVRAM reset. Not necessary if you are using M1 silicon chip Mac.

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 8:07 AM in response to JM7534

Try deleting preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command

keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your iMovie screen displays properly. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If deleting preferences does not solve it, try these two procedures, particularly the PRAM/NVRAM reset. Not necessary if you are using M1 silicon chip Mac.

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

iMovie Cropping Off Top of Menu Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.