Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow Mac Mini (late 2012) - with EtreCheck logs

Hi,

I have a Mac mini (Late 2012) that’s very slow, bordering on unusable. I have the original 5400rpm HDD so I expect it to be slow, but not to this level. 16gb RAM.

I ran the EtreCheck tool and generated 3 reports (attached)

The initial one was done with the mac having been running for days if not weeks. Time 140:28 !

The second one was run in restarted Safe Mode. Time to complete 5:24

The third one was run after a norma reboot and after having waited maybe 15 min post logon. Time 7:42.

I suspect that the slow HDD cannot be blamed for all of this. 

A clean install would be the next step, but I’d love to figure out if there is a way to find out what’s causing this (if not only the slow HDD) so I wont be back at this level of performance a few weeks after a re-install.

Cheers,

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 6:47 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 18, 2019 6:59 AM in response to ted_no

Extreme slowness is often one of the initial symptoms of a failing drive and all three EtreCheck posts indicate a failing hard drive. The report also indicates that you have no TimeMachine backup so unless you are using another backup program, run, don't walk, to purchase an external drive and make a backup. Other than the note of extreme network activity (probably DropBox) I saw nothing else.

Jan 18, 2019 9:49 AM in response to kent_kurt

Using DropBox as an auxiliary backup for documents isn’t a bad idea but it is no good for your OS or apps and unless you have fiber it will be slow restoring data. When I moved into my new Mac mini I used my TimeMachine backup to prepare it. About three hours later I was back in business. It would take three times that to pull all my docs down from Dropbox

Very slow Mac Mini (late 2012) - with EtreCheck logs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.