Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access files from IPhoto LIbrary and Photos Library

Help!

I moved my image files from my airmac (256 GB) to an external hard drive because my photos were gobbling up about 160 GB of space.

There are no sub-folders or files left in the Pictures folder on the Air Mac.

On the external hard drive, about 100 GB of files are located in IPhoto Library (70G) and Photos Library (30G) but i cant see or access any image files.

(The remaining 60 GB of image files are organized into subfolders that i created long ago, but I stopped doing that in 2011. I can see and access those files).

What did i screw up and how do I undo it?

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 8:40 AM

On the external hard drive, about 100 GB of files are located in IPhoto Library (70G) and Photos Library (30G) but i cant see or access any image files.

How are you trying to access the images in the iPhoto Library and the Photos Library? Are you saying, that Photos and iPhoto can no longer open the moved libraries? Or are they not showing in the Media Browser.

You may want to check, if the file system format of your external drive is compatible with Photos and iPhoto.

This document explains, how an external drive should be formatted, when you are using it for a Photo Library: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

To be able to see a Photos Library in the Media Browser, open it in Photos by double-clicking the moved library, and make sure the option "Photos > Preferences > General: Use as System Photo Library" is enabled. When you open the Photos Preferences, this option should be dimmed to show, that it is already enabled.

Also s launch iPhoto at least once on the moved iPhoto Library.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2019 8:40 AM in response to UniforHoward

How are you trying to access the images in the iPhoto Library and the Photos Library? Are you saying, that Photos and iPhoto can no longer open the moved libraries? Or are they not showing in the Media Browser.

You may want to check, if the file system format of your external drive is compatible with Photos and iPhoto.

This document explains, how an external drive should be formatted, when you are using it for a Photo Library: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

To be able to see a Photos Library in the Media Browser, open it in Photos by double-clicking the moved library, and make sure the option "Photos > Preferences > General: Use as System Photo Library" is enabled. When you open the Photos Preferences, this option should be dimmed to show, that it is already enabled.

Also s launch iPhoto at least once on the moved iPhoto Library.

Can't access files from IPhoto LIbrary and Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.