Location of pictures file for PHOTOS App on Mac Air

I cannot find the folder where all the pictures in the Photos App are located. Last week I (mistakenly) deleted the photos folder, in the Finder>Pictures folder. So there is no folder there anymore, nothing in Recently Deleted either. Yet ALL pictures are still in Photos. All pics, all folders. And on the Mac storage line the 10 GB for photos is still being taken up on the computer. I would like to find out the LOCATION so that I can safely back them up on another disc or USB. I have a MAC AIR with Mojave. Second question: I have recently backed-up the computer on Time Machine, on a separate USB. Can I be absolutely assured that the pics are contained on it even though I have no idea where?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 4:13 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 18, 2023 1:31 AM in response to acbh

The Pictures folder inside your user Home folder is the default location, where new Photos Libraries will be created, unless you move them somewhere else.

To check, if the Photos Library is included in your Time Machine backup, you may want to enter Time Machine and look what is there.

• Open the Pictures folder in the Finder.
  • make sure, your Time Machine drive is mounted.
  • With the Pictures folder as the frontmost window enter Time Machine and use the Time Line on the right border of the Time Machine window to go back in time.

Are you seeing your Photos Library in the Time Tunnel in the Pictures folder?

The Time Machine backup of your Photos Library will be complete, unless you are using iCloud Photos for your system photos library and "Optimize Mac Storage" is enabled to save local storage. Time Machine can only backup the originals that have been downloaded to your Mac, not the items that are only in iCloud. See: Restore a library from Time Machine in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Aug 17, 2023 9:40 PM in response to acbh

The pictures should be inside the Photos Library bundle. By default, that would be created inside the Pictures folder in your home directory, but it can be moved or created elsewhere (within limits).

We can tell your Photos Library bundle still exists somewhere, because you still see your pictures and folder/album structure when you launch the Photos app. The question is where it got moved. One possibility is that it was moved to the Trash.

To find out where your currently active library resides, open the Settings panel inside Photos (Photos menu, select item Settings...) and click on the General heading. The first line should say "Library Location:" and the path to the library bundle.

Location of pictures file for PHOTOS App on Mac Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.