Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.5. All my Photo Libraries disappeared.

How do I go to the 22,000+ pictures I had in folders within my Photo Library?

I have MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.5. Yesterday, all my Photo Libraries disappeared. I tried going in the backup disk. Even going back to Feb. all the Photo Library shows is 6 pictures. I had over 22,000 in my library. I want to get them back in folders.

Can I see all my photos from the My Passport for Mac backup? All I see are folders to run the computer.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 10:55 PM

Photos for Mac cannot merge libraries directly on the current system version, if your Mac model will support it. MacOS 12 Monterey will be the first system version supporting to move albums and folders directly between different Photos Libraries. If you are planning to merge Photos libraries you may want to wait for the system upgrade to Monterey coming this fall. Or have a look at this user tip: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 Version

Apple Support recommends to export the photos from the smaller library and to import them into the larger library, but this will lose the albums and folders, and the adjustments can no longer be reverted: Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2021 10:55 PM in response to PennyPhoto

Photos for Mac cannot merge libraries directly on the current system version, if your Mac model will support it. MacOS 12 Monterey will be the first system version supporting to move albums and folders directly between different Photos Libraries. If you are planning to merge Photos libraries you may want to wait for the system upgrade to Monterey coming this fall. Or have a look at this user tip: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 Version

Apple Support recommends to export the photos from the smaller library and to import them into the larger library, but this will lose the albums and folders, and the adjustments can no longer be reverted: Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2021 7:26 PM in response to PennyPhoto

Thanks. It should be. I can't find it there. I went back to Feb. and the six that are in Photos today, show up there too.

I kept looking on the computer and found 26,038 in their folders in something called Default Library. I tried to merge that with Photos. No luck. I'm glad to know all pictures are in their folders and not just loose. I want to merge with Photo Library on the Desktop. I don't know how.

Jul 25, 2021 7:22 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks. This is new information. That is an option I haven't find in the Mac instructions.

I will keep trying but right now, the only option is Photo Library (last opened) and it is the new one with six pictures.

I can see all in an old Default Library in iPhoto Library Manager that is not on the desktop but in a section of my entire name for the computer.

Jul 26, 2021 12:16 AM in response to PennyPhoto

What do you mean by "section of my entire name". Can you post a screenshot (Use CMD-shift-4 and drag a box around the pane. The screenshot will be saved on your desktop)

In any case this is the library you want to open, but it would be better if it was stored in your pictures folder. Is that where it is?

If so, you can open that library and just continue to use it.

MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.5. All my Photo Libraries disappeared.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.