Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos confusion

I have 5,500 photos on my Mac Big Sur 11.4. I backup using Time Machine thinking that they are all being backed up, but now that I am actually looking for something, I noticed that in User, pictures only has 75.

So, I clicked on Photo Library within that and my 'now' photos are there. It shows over 20GB which is probably about right.

1 - Why are some photos showing outside of the Library?

2 - What am I doing wrong here.......I needed a video from the backup, so while in Photos I went to a date in 2019 in Time Machine, clicked on Photo Library and it just shows the App with 12GB. Can I not open it to look for the video or photos that I want?

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 8:02 AM

If it is an individual file stored in the pictures folder, then you can restore it.

If it is inside the Photos library, then you really need to restore the whole library. The library is not only a folder of files, but it is a database structure linking the files. You can try restoring just a file if you can find it. But since MacOS Catalina, the files in the library are renamed so are difficult to find, and in any case you might get unpredictable results. Nothing to lose by trying it, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work as expected.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2021 8:02 AM in response to megabytes

If it is an individual file stored in the pictures folder, then you can restore it.

If it is inside the Photos library, then you really need to restore the whole library. The library is not only a folder of files, but it is a database structure linking the files. You can try restoring just a file if you can find it. But since MacOS Catalina, the files in the library are renamed so are difficult to find, and in any case you might get unpredictable results. Nothing to lose by trying it, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work as expected.

Jul 12, 2021 6:37 AM in response to megabytes

Hi

In the photos app, all your pictures are stored in the library. To restore from time machine you have to first restore the whole library, then open the restored library in the Photos App

In time machine, right click (ctrl click) the library and select "restore to" then put it in a different place to your current library (I create a subfolder in the pictures folder called "restore to")

When it has restored, hold the option key while starting photos, and you can then open your newly restored library. To go back to your current library you will have to use the option key start again.

PS - only you can say why you have some photos also standalone in the pictures folder. At some point you have put them there. or exported them from photos to that location.

Photos confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.