Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to use personal Apple ID Balance due to Apple Family Plan

My brother has an apple family plan for apple music, and he was nice enough to add me to the plan since he had the openings after his own family. However, I have come across the issue that if I want to purchase something, it can only be processed if it is bought through my brother's credit card on file. I do not want to do that, but I also have $15 in Apple ID credit. How can I just simply bypass the credit card and use a different payment method. Does anyone have a similar issue or have any ideas on how to solve this problem? I want independence in the apps I want to download and purchase without having to charge my brother's card and having to pay him back.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 9:53 AM

When in Family Sharing and with Purchase Sharing turned on, only the Family Organizer's Credit card can be used to pay for purchases.

However, if you have gift card credit balance on your account, it will use that before charging the family organizer's payment method.

See here for more info : How iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support

Whether using gift card credit or the organizer's payment method, it may still require the organizer's verification for the purchase however. Once verified, it will use the gift card balance first automatically, and the remainder, if there was not enough balance to cover the purchase, will be charged to the card.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2019 9:53 AM in response to daritzap

When in Family Sharing and with Purchase Sharing turned on, only the Family Organizer's Credit card can be used to pay for purchases.

However, if you have gift card credit balance on your account, it will use that before charging the family organizer's payment method.

See here for more info : How iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support

Whether using gift card credit or the organizer's payment method, it may still require the organizer's verification for the purchase however. Once verified, it will use the gift card balance first automatically, and the remainder, if there was not enough balance to cover the purchase, will be charged to the card.

Unable to use personal Apple ID Balance due to Apple Family Plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.