Scheduled Maintenance on July 16th

The Apple Support Community ‘Search’ functionality will temporarily be unavailable July 16th, 1:00am – 3:00am PDT. Thank you for your patience as we work behind the scenes to improve the community.

Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get USB external floppy drive mounted to OSX to read old Macintosh floppies (1990')

Hello,

I have connected a USB external floppy drive to my Macbook Pro (OSX El Capitan).

I am unable to "view" the external drive, and hence unable to access the floppy content.

Any hint/Tip appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

O.K

PS : my purpose is to retrieve the content from a stack of old 3.5" floppies formatted under System 6.x and 7.x on a Mac SE30.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 9:30 AM

Your external floppy drive (provided it is hardware compatible) will not appear on your Desktop until you insert a readable floppy disk in it. That is how mine works on Mojave and earlier.

Unless your old System 6/7 floppies were formatted as FAT16 or FAT32, OS X El Capitan will not mount them. Maybe it can read an old HFS filesystem, but anything else will be an alien format this far into the future.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 9:30 AM in response to OK_Corral

Your external floppy drive (provided it is hardware compatible) will not appear on your Desktop until you insert a readable floppy disk in it. That is how mine works on Mojave and earlier.

Unless your old System 6/7 floppies were formatted as FAT16 or FAT32, OS X El Capitan will not mount them. Maybe it can read an old HFS filesystem, but anything else will be an alien format this far into the future.

Jan 19, 2019 11:18 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi VikingOSX, thank you for your note.

I can't remember in which format the floppies were formatted. This was 25+ years ago. Likely the floppies are in different formats, as some were in 800K and others in 1.4Mb and possibly in 400K...

For now, the device is not visible to the machine ; hence format issues, I believe, are NOT the problem YET. My penny :-)

Jan 20, 2019 3:01 AM in response to OK_Corral

When I plug in my 3.5 inch floppy drive, the only visual clue that it is recognized is a green light on the drive. It is only when I insert compatible media that it makes its typical floppy drive racket, and mounts the drive icon on the Desktop. Did this yesterday with some Excel spreadsheets from 1997. Only LibreOffice would open them.

All of my 3.5 inch floppy disks were written on a dual-boot Solaris-X86/Win95 Toshiba laptop from that era.

How to get USB external floppy drive mounted to OSX to read old Macintosh floppies (1990')

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.