Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Floppy disc drive external

if I connect floppy disc drive to my windows 10 computer it works and I can read some discs.

how do I connect it to my brand new Apple Mac m1 computer.?

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 12:28 PM

Using a XAOSUN USB-C gen 2 to USB-A adapter, i Just connected the floppy drive that I bought in 1999 for my iMac DV SE and connected it to my 2021 16-in MBP M1 Pro running macOS 12.4. Once I inserted the 1.44 MB disk into the drive, there was a lot of expected noise as it mounted as a floppy icon (below) on my Desktop. All the 1999 project documents were present and I opened a Word document (.doc) in the current Word v16.61 without issue.

As has been already stated, Windows and macOS are entirely different operating system distributions and there is no assurance that anything that works on one will work on the other. Your mileage may vary.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 12:28 PM in response to Robert the golfer

Using a XAOSUN USB-C gen 2 to USB-A adapter, i Just connected the floppy drive that I bought in 1999 for my iMac DV SE and connected it to my 2021 16-in MBP M1 Pro running macOS 12.4. Once I inserted the 1.44 MB disk into the drive, there was a lot of expected noise as it mounted as a floppy icon (below) on my Desktop. All the 1999 project documents were present and I opened a Word document (.doc) in the current Word v16.61 without issue.

As has been already stated, Windows and macOS are entirely different operating system distributions and there is no assurance that anything that works on one will work on the other. Your mileage may vary.

Jun 1, 2022 12:07 PM in response to Robert the golfer

It's a mistake to start the "if windows can, why can't Mac" discussion. The two platforms are just so dissimilar in so many ways.

All you likely need mechanically is an adapter for the cable, but my question is why? There hasn't been anything worthwhile on floppies in a couple of decades it seems, and I'd imagine what you have there would run so poorly, if at all, it just won't be worth it..

Floppy disc drive external

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.