Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to open an .exe file, but I keep getting this error message.

I can't open a file I need because I keep getting this message "The contents of __________.exe cannot be extracted with The Unarchiver. I don't know how to open this application in another place, or where to go to open this file.

My computer is from 2007, so its an older system.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 10:46 AM

Just to stress one more time. This a program. If it were a self-extracting archive, the Unarchiver would have worked with this file as is. When you run this in Windows, it will do whatever the app is written to do.

8 replies

Jan 19, 2019 10:28 AM in response to AlieMac64

An .exe file is a DOS/Windows program, not an archive.

That said, it is possible with some DOS/Windows apps to create an .exe file that is a self extracting archive. What those apps actually do is create a standard .zip file, then wrap it in a small amount of code that extracts the zipped data when you run the app. It was useful for the computer inept to extract an archive they received without having to even know how to unzip a file.

In this case, you don't have one of those. It's a standard program file. Not an archive.

Jan 19, 2019 10:30 AM in response to AlieMac64

You would have to boot into Windows first, then double click the file there to run the app.

If this is something you received as an email attachment, there's a high likelihood it's malware. Don't run it unless you're absolutely sure what it's supposed to be and the source is someone you trust. Even then, contact that person and ask if they really sent it.

I'm trying to open an .exe file, but I keep getting this error message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.