Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro won't turn back on from sleep mode.

I currently have a Mac Pro that when it goes into sleep mode the display wont turn back on. When I hit buttons on the keyboard or move the mouse. The only way for me to get the display to show is if I hold the power button to turn it off and back on again.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 10:40 AM

5 replies

Jan 19, 2019 11:32 AM in response to Hammy19

When it is in this asleep mode without the display on, is the main fan still running? Is the power indicators blinking a slow 'heartbeat" indicator that says, "I am sleeping" ??

I am trying to determine whether it has crashed, and/or when you nominally wake it up, is it actually awake with no display, or still asleep. The difference is subtle but important to solving the problem.

Jan 19, 2019 12:09 PM in response to Hammy19

Based on this statement t all the I/O port lights glow," it appears you have a 2013 MP.

How long have you waited for anything to show on the monitor after oving monitor/press key on KB?

I have a 2013 MP and usually it takes a minute or longer for anything to appear on the screen. The MP awakens fast, as expected, since I unlock it after initial startup with my Apple watch. I get a notification on the watch that the MP is unlock very soon after moving mouse/KB but it takes a long time to get anything to show on the display.

Jan 19, 2019 12:16 PM in response to Hammy19

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, no data will be sent to the display.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Modern Displays with multiple ports are sometimes busy scanning the other ports, looking for an input, and miss the query from the Mac. They need to pay attention to the port you are actually using, or they will miss the query.

Some displays have On-Screen Display settings that can be used to tell the display a computer is attached on a certain port, or a certain port should be highest priority. Changing those may make your display more responsive.

Some displays include their own private "sleep" settings for the display alone. This can allow the display to enter its own sleep mode, on top of the Mac's not sending it data. A display that is sleeping on its own cannot respond to the Mac's query, and will stay dark.

Mac Pro won't turn back on from sleep mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.