Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro still running slow after deleting CleanMyMac

Hello

My early 2011 Macbook Pro was running fine until I inadvertently installed CleanMyMac. It then started running very slow, and I eventually realised it might be this programme. After deleting it, things are almost back to normal. Unfortunately, some lag remains and I would like to fix the issue asap, particularly as I need to use a clear Skype connection for work. I would greatly appreciate any help

I have added this form my systems.log as I have seen it requested on other threads. Perhaps there is a clue here. Thank you for reading this!

Jan 19 23:02:15 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper[11805]): Service could not initialize: 16G1710: xpcproxy + 11769 [1505][831610CB-014C-312A-85C9-E48C1D1E6A3F]: 0xd

Jan 19 23:02:15 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jan 19 23:02:25 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper[11808]): Service could not initialize: 16G1710: xpcproxy + 11769 [1505][831610CB-014C-312A-85C9-E48C1D1E6A3F]: 0xd

Jan 19 23:02:25 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jan 19 23:02:35 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper[11811]): Service could not initialize: 16G1710: xpcproxy + 11769 [1505][831610CB-014C-312A-85C9-E48C1D1E6A3F]: 0xd

Jan 19 23:02:35 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jan 19 23:02:45 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper[11814]): Service could not initialize: 16G1710: xpcproxy + 11769 [1505][831610CB-014C-312A-85C9-E48C1D1E6A3F]: 0xd

Jan 19 23:02:45 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jan 19 23:02:55 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper[11817]): Service could not initialize: 16G1710: xpcproxy + 11769 [1505][831610CB-014C-312A-85C9-E48C1D1E6A3F]: 0xd

Jan 19 23:02:55 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jan 19 23:03:05 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper[11823]): Service could not initialize: 16G1710: xpcproxy + 11769 [1505][831610CB-014C-312A-85C9-E48C1D1E6A3F]: 0xd

Jan 19 23:03:05 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jan 19 23:03:15 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper[11827]): Service could not initialize: 16G1710: xpcproxy + 11769 [1505][831610CB-014C-312A-85C9-E48C1D1E6A3F]: 0xd

Jan 19 23:03:15 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jan 19 23:03:25 -MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.wondershare.AnjoyTunesHelper[11830]): Service could not initialize: 16G1710: xpcproxy + 11769 [1505][831610CB-014C-312A-85C9-E48C1D1E6A3F]: 0xd

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 3:19 PM

Run this analyzer and post the results here.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

EtreCheck on the Mac App Store - https://itunes.apple.com/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

Using Etrecheck - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6174

To save posting really long reports to the regular window, use the "paper" icon in the editor bar.

CleanMyMac removal instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/message/30410136#message30410136

Wondershare is something that rightly or not leaves me uncomfortable. I think it is because they press usage of their software to do things iTunes already does for free, so I kind of file them along with Clean My Mac in this kind of thing. :-/

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 3:19 PM in response to Clef1

Run this analyzer and post the results here.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

EtreCheck on the Mac App Store - https://itunes.apple.com/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

Using Etrecheck - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6174

To save posting really long reports to the regular window, use the "paper" icon in the editor bar.

CleanMyMac removal instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/message/30410136#message30410136

Wondershare is something that rightly or not leaves me uncomfortable. I think it is because they press usage of their software to do things iTunes already does for free, so I kind of file them along with Clean My Mac in this kind of thing. :-/

Jan 19, 2019 4:15 PM in response to Limnos

Thank you very much for your helpful insights. First of all, apologies for including the log info in the main body of the text.

Secondly, I had already removed CleanMyMac by deleting the items I found, unfortunately not via its uninstaller module, if I remember right. It doesn't seem appropriate to re-install and then uninstall it again. Or would that be best? I have removed log files as specified in the link you posted.

I also deleted anything I could find related to Wondershare, though the app itself is already uninstalled as far as I can tell. I can't even remember what it was or why I got it.

Two things caught my eye. One is an app called "Rack". Again, I can't remember downloading it. I have deleted it. The other is the word "cisco" in some Library threads. I mention it because I have no idea what it refers to.

I ran the EtreCheck. As the pro and non-pro version are both free, I ran the pro version. I have attached the results.

As I am writing this, the screen has gone dark 3 or 4 times. This hasn't happened before. My machine has also been very hot recently and I haven't heard the fan for days now. None of this was the case before CleanMyMac came into the picture (the heat maybe..not 100% sure).

Jan 19, 2019 5:08 PM in response to Clef1

Hello,

I see no trace of CleanMyMac running.

I suggest uninstalling F-Secure. EtreCheck is supposed to complain about running multiple antivirus products. I have this fear that running multiple antivirus products would cause problems exactly like what you are seeing. I will use your report to update EtreCheck’s AV list. Clearly I’ve missed something.

Normally I only see one or two “videoguard” files, but you have a ton of them. I suggest getting rid of them. I think getting rid of the torrent software would be a good idea too.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion. I see that EtreCheck did give you the appropriate warning. Still, you did have a few new F-secure files.

Jan 19, 2019 7:09 PM in response to etresoft

Thank you very much.

I went through many of the Library folders and deleted a few more files related to CleanMyMac, and yes, I also thought I would delete f-secure, as it's an antivirus provided by my broadband provider. I'm not sure what I still have now in the way of antivirus (I also deleted ClamX which I had tried), but I preferred to get rid of anything that I have added in the recent past.

After doing so, everything seems to be running crisply again. Unfortunately, not in Chrome, but Firefox is fine. (Chrome seems to have several "Google Chrome Helper" entries listed in the memory portion of the Activity Monitor). Having said that, Firefox has Web Extension and Web Content entries, and together with the Browser it comes to about 2.5GB, even though all I have is 4 tabs open (no video, just email and some articles). Is this normal?

As regards getting rid of the "videoguard" files, is that also a case of going through the Library and deleting anything with that word in it?

Thank you so much again

Jan 20, 2019 11:01 AM in response to Clef1

I'm not sure what I still have now in the way of antivirus

The macOS operating system includes multiple layers of malware protection. You don’t need any 3rd party antivirus protection.

That being said, Apple doesn’t provide great protection against adware, which is technically not malware. You also had MalwareBytes installed, which provides good protection against adware.

I recommended removing F-Secure because it has many more components than MalwareBytes, including a kernel extension, and is therefore more likely to cause problems. Some of F-Secure’s components were in an error condition. You should still double-check your system when running MalwareBytes. Although MalwareBytes has proven to be effective and relatively trouble-free, it has caused problems on rare occasions.

fter doing so, everything seems to be running crisply again. Unfortunately, not in Chrome, but Firefox is fine. (Chrome seems to have several "Google Chrome Helper" entries listed in the memory portion of the Activity Monitor). Having said that, Firefox has Web Extension and Web Content entries, and together with the Browser it comes to about 2.5GB, even though all I have is 4 tabs open (no video, just email and some articles). Is this normal?

Those “helpers” are normal. Sadly, all modern web browsers consume huge quantities of resources. Google, in particular, assumes that there is no reason to use anything other than Chrome for any purpose. They even went to the point of disabling “command-q” to quit. After all, why would anyone ever need to quit Chrome? That's a bit much if you ask me.

As regards getting rid of the "videoguard" files, is that also a case of going through the Library and deleting anything with that word in it?

I’m not really sure what those are. The are associated with Cisco, which is a large and legitimate company. Videoguard is some kind of DRM or something.

EtreCheck’s “remove” buttons are only meant for adware and malware. They should not be used with legitimate software. They will break software. In the case of adware and malware, that is a good thing. You want adware and malware to be disabled. But I have no idea what will happen, or what content or software you will lose if you use EtreCheck to remove those files. The same holds true if you try to manually delete those files. You should only use vendor-provided uninstallers or uninstallation instructions to remove legitimate software. Never use an “app zapper” that can leave some parts running or cause damage.

Unfortunately, in some cases, there are no official uninstallers or uninstallation instructions. I, and other people, will help you all we can here in the forums. But officially, removing legitimate software with EtreCheck is not supported.

Jan 20, 2019 12:57 PM in response to etresoft

Thank you very much indeed for all your help!

I in fact went ahead and deleted all videoguard and remaining f-secure components manually.

The videoguard files will have belonged to the Cisco Webex software I had installed to view some webinars (I had forgotten about this). So far, my machine is running very well, just like before.

You mention only using vendor-provided uninstallers or uninstallation instructions to remove legitimate software. I have often wondered why uninstalling is not more straightforward on a Mac and will take your advice for the future.

Do I really need to buy something? Does OSX not have something for this purpose?

Would you recommend anything in particular?

Thank you again. Bear with me, I will close this soon, as the issue has been resolved. A real relief!

Jan 20, 2019 1:23 PM in response to Clef1

You mention only using vendor-provided uninstallers or uninstallation instructions to remove legitimate software. I have often wondered why uninstalling is not more straightforward on a Mac

You and me both.

Do I really need to buy something? Does OSX not have something for this purpose?
Would you recommend anything in particular?

I wouldn’t recommend anything. There are many people who recommend and swear by various types of “app zappers”. In many cases, they will work, but there is no guarantee. Most importantly, there is no central system database that associates files with the application that created them. So, while an “app zapper” might work for a simple app, it may have trouble with a more complex one - the very scenario where one would need extra help.

The only thing that macOS has is the Mac App Store. Any app installed via the Mac App Store lives in a self-enclosed bundle. You can uninstall apps using the LaunchPad in the Dock. Just click and hold on any icon. All icons will start to shake. Any Mac App Store icons will get a little “X” button in the top left corner. You can click on the “X” icon to uninstall the app. This is just like iOS on your iPhone.

Unfortunately, this will only uninstall the app. It will leave behind the app’s container. If you ever want to reinstall the app and recover your old state, you will need this data. But if you don’t want it, there is no way to remove it. Just today I saw a post by someone who was trying to recover 15 GB of space in a deleted app’s container. There is no easy way to remove this data.

Jan 20, 2019 1:29 PM in response to etresoft

Ok, I understand what you meant. By vendor-provided uninstallers you meant what comes with the app or package, as was the case with CleanMyMac. I was surprised that it had this, in fact. I assumed by default that using this feature from an app that is causing damage wouldn't be advisable.

Thank you again, it's been very insightful, and I'm grateful to have my machine back in good form!

Macbook Pro still running slow after deleting CleanMyMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.