Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 8 Plus microphone only works on certain things

My iPhone microphone does not work on the camera app the microphone only seems to be working when it’s turned on the back camera but once I flip it to the front facing camera the microphone seems to be a little blocked

My microphone works on Snapchat if I record from the front camera and the back camera but my sound doesn’t work from front or back camera on Instagram

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 4:27 AM

If the mic works in any app, even only one, there is no fault on the mic and you are looking at software problems. The front mic seems to be the problem, and this is used when you use the device as a speakerphone, so the obvious extra test is to try it in a standard phone call or FaceTime.

If the mic doesn’t work in Apple’s standard apps like Phone you may have a hardware problem, Contact Apple Support to arrange getting it checked and serviced. If it works but not with Instagram, contact Instagram support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2019 4:27 AM in response to zahara274

If the mic works in any app, even only one, there is no fault on the mic and you are looking at software problems. The front mic seems to be the problem, and this is used when you use the device as a speakerphone, so the obvious extra test is to try it in a standard phone call or FaceTime.

If the mic doesn’t work in Apple’s standard apps like Phone you may have a hardware problem, Contact Apple Support to arrange getting it checked and serviced. If it works but not with Instagram, contact Instagram support.

IPhone 8 Plus microphone only works on certain things

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.