Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem setting up external monitor with 4k (Ultra HD) resolution.

Hello,

I've bought a new monitor (LG 27UD59-B) with ultra HD resolution (3840x2160) and I would like to use it on my 2017 MacBook Air. According to the manual of the Air it should support this resolution with a maximum of 60 Hz.

However when I connect it through a mini display port to HDMI converter cable and hook it up on one of the 2 HDMI ports my Air only allows a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 and 60 Hz.

Do I need to get a Mini Display port to Display Port cable to get 4k to work?

Tried using the Display Port (normal size) cable that came with the monitor on my Windows 10 PC. And connected it's GTX 960 with the Display Port connection on the monitor and 4k worked perfectly.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 1:59 PM

Hello SandsOfArrakis,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you are having an issue setting up your external monitor. I'm happy to help you find a resolution.

Here is a link that will assist you:

Use 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac

If it is still having an issue after viewing the link, please let me know.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2019 1:59 PM in response to SandsOfArrakis

Hello SandsOfArrakis,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you are having an issue setting up your external monitor. I'm happy to help you find a resolution.

Here is a link that will assist you:

Use 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac

If it is still having an issue after viewing the link, please let me know.

Have a great day!

Problem setting up external monitor with 4k (Ultra HD) resolution.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.