Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 Macbook won't drive external 4k monitor

Hi all,

Having some trouble with this, and I can't seem to find any specific information about this regarding the 2017 MacBook (not pro). I am trying to drive a Samsung 4k monitor through HDMI via a third party USB Type C hub - (this one if it matters).

The max I can get out of it is 1080p which the MacBook calls the default, and scaled will only go as high as 1600x900. This doesn't change if I mess with the refresh rate either, so no dice on 4k at 30hz.

Any ideas? Can the 2017 MacBook not support this?

Thank you.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 7:58 PM

I seriously doubt that your adapter supports 4k over HDMI. Look for an adapter that specifically mentions its support for HDMI 4K at 60 Hz.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+c+hub+hdmi+4k+60hz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwia_uCMpMrkAhXJs54KHWLsAtMQ1QIoAXoECAsQAg&biw=1280&bih=647

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 12, 2019 10:04 AM in response to Lanny

Ah, this makes sense, thank you for your help!

Related question then - I understand that display port is the way to go for 4k @60 and that HDMI can only push 4k @30, but I am having trouble finding a hub similar to mine with display port (and power delivery + some usb ports). Do you think plugging in a simple Display Port to USB C adapter into my existing hub might work? Or would that be incredibly stupid?

Thanks so much.

2017 Macbook won't drive external 4k monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.