Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 and External Monitor Issues

Hi Apple, I have a 16 inch MBPro and a 32 inch 4K LG monitor. I used to connect my Mac to the monitor using a single USB-C cable, running 4K resolution at 60Hz.

Issue 1

However, after updating my computer in December, when a MacOS update to Big Sur became available, my computer only detects my monitor as 1080P via USB-C. Searching the Internet, this seems to be a major issue.

Issue 2

I found that I could connect my computer to my monitor using HDMI instead and this allows me to run full 4K resolution. But now I can only select 30Hz as refresh rate. Once again, searching online showed that this is a major issue too. I have tried with multiple adapters and cables, capable of running 60Hz.

I know several people with the exact same setup as me and they are all experiencing these issues . These issues have been around for almost five months now! No updates, so far, have resolved either of these issues.

I'm waiting very patiently for a fix!

Is Apple aware of these issues? Is there a fix on the way?

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 6:52 AM

UPDATE: MacOS 11.3 update fixed both issues right away. I can now run 4K resolution at 60Hz using USB-C.

Similar questions

1 reply

MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 and External Monitor Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.