Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor problem post update

Dear all, once I updated MAC OS to Big Sur (currently version 11.2.2) my external monitor is no longer recognised as 4k (LG 4k connected via USB-C <> Display port cable). Before there was no problem at all it used to work perfectly fine. Now I have to disconnect and connect the monitor 10+ times with the hope that it will be recognised. It completely ruins my fork flow and already caused numerous delays in a number of projects. Have anyone experienced the same problem and if yes what is the solution? Does Apply know about this issue?

Thank you!

Alex

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 2:31 AM

#UPDATE

I purchased two more cables to test.

My initial cable was "CHOETECH USB C to DisplayPort Cable 4K@60Hz(Thunderbolt 3 Compatible)" it worked perfectly with Catalina all way up until the update to Big Sur delivering 4K 60Hz.

Then I tried another usb-c to display cable hoping that maybe my initial cable is not suited any longer. I got "uni USB C to DisplayPort Cable (4K@60Hz, Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort Cable)" which did not work too.

Finally, I tried "Anker Type C to HDMI Adapter Cable 4K 60Hz" and it WORKED! Now, I am happy I resolved the problem, but my expectation when I buy 2k laptop and bind it with a 4k monitor is that it works without me eating months of time and lost business.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2021 2:31 AM in response to Sean Meredith

#UPDATE

I purchased two more cables to test.

My initial cable was "CHOETECH USB C to DisplayPort Cable 4K@60Hz(Thunderbolt 3 Compatible)" it worked perfectly with Catalina all way up until the update to Big Sur delivering 4K 60Hz.

Then I tried another usb-c to display cable hoping that maybe my initial cable is not suited any longer. I got "uni USB C to DisplayPort Cable (4K@60Hz, Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort Cable)" which did not work too.

Finally, I tried "Anker Type C to HDMI Adapter Cable 4K 60Hz" and it WORKED! Now, I am happy I resolved the problem, but my expectation when I buy 2k laptop and bind it with a 4k monitor is that it works without me eating months of time and lost business.

Mar 15, 2021 10:00 PM in response to aanovitskiy

My MacBook Pro M1 was working fine with my external LG 4k display until I upgraded to MacOS 11.2.3. Now the monitor never wakes from sleep. I have to replug in the display cable.

The chain is MacBook Pro to OWC Thunderbolt Hub via Thunderbolt 4 cable -> Thunderbolt Hub to LG monitor via USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter & DisplayPort cable.

External monitor problem post update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.