Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor -- 5120 x 2160 resolution lost after upgrade to Ventura

Hi,

I have just updated to Ventura from Monterey.

My external monitor was working fine under Monterey with a 5120 x 2160 resolution.

Now the maximum I can set the resolution to is: 3440 x 1440 (or 3840 x 2160, which is distorted).

Any ideas, how to get the higher resolution back?

External monitor:

LG 34WK95U-W

34" 21:9 UltraWide™ WUHD (5120 x 2160) Nano IPS Monitor

The monitor is connected to my 14inch Macbook Pro via the original LG USB-C cable.

Any help is appreciated...

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 12:22 PM

Hi again,

so after some more searching around. I not only switched off my screen and restarted my laptop/ rebooted in safe mode..

I also UNPLUGGED the monitor. After this, the full resolution was back again. See Screenshots.

5120x2160 was way to tiny for my taste, however, I want to link to this post, which states:

"The ones that have (low resolution) printed next to them actually lower the resolution of the display. The ones that don't have this indicator next to them will increase the text size without lowering the resolution of the desktop. "

Fix for small text on hi-resolution monit… - Apple Community

So it seems I have my resolution back and can also have the size adjusted.

Problem solved :-)

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 12:22 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi again,

so after some more searching around. I not only switched off my screen and restarted my laptop/ rebooted in safe mode..

I also UNPLUGGED the monitor. After this, the full resolution was back again. See Screenshots.

5120x2160 was way to tiny for my taste, however, I want to link to this post, which states:

"The ones that have (low resolution) printed next to them actually lower the resolution of the display. The ones that don't have this indicator next to them will increase the text size without lowering the resolution of the desktop. "

Fix for small text on hi-resolution monit… - Apple Community

So it seems I have my resolution back and can also have the size adjusted.

Problem solved :-)

Nov 3, 2022 4:52 AM in response to Ma7h

Ma7H,

I have the exact same monitor and have been having the same issue (macOS Ventura only lets me use a max resolution of 3840x2160 when the monitor has a resolution of 5120x2160). I have tried replicating what you did (unplug the monitor and restart in safe mode), but my resolution options do not change. Is there anything else you did? Also, what connection are you using? I am using a USB-C to HDMI(2.1) cable that supports up to 8k resolutions. Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

External Monitor -- 5120 x 2160 resolution lost after upgrade to Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.