Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Ultrawide 49" Display <> Macbook Air 2018 in Ventura 13.1 issues

Hello,

Today I decided to update to macOS Ventura, since doing so I have been experiencing display issues with an external monitor.

I believe this is an Apple side issue with macOS Ventura.

I have done some research and stumbled upon a few other Apple users having similar issues.

On reddit, on /r/ultrawidemasterrace

The graphical issue is identical to what I am experiencing (it looks different because my wallpaper is different).

I am using a MacBook Air, Retina, 13-inch, 2018 with a 1.6 ghz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Up to this point, I was having no issue on Monterey or Catalina with running this display. This happened immediately after installing the Ventura software update.

For context, I am using a caldigit element hub 4 as my central docking station. I have tried both the hdmi and displayport inputs into this monitor, I normally use dp. I use a dp to lightning converter since the element hub 4 doesn't have DP or HDMI ports, only USB-A and USB-C ports.

I have tried connecting the monitor directly to the air, and using the other port for power, this did not help.

Users on MacRumor's forum are reporting similar issues since October.

Ventura external display problem

Temporary fix for external monitor issue over usb-c in Ventura

So far, the workarounds seem to be

• Revert back to previous operating systems
  • Run a process in terminal every single time sudo sleep 20 ; sudo kill -9 $(pgrep WindowServer)
  • Run the monitor in PIP mode (only using half the resolution)
  • Potentially booting from Safe mode

Please have one of your Software Engineers address what is causing this bug. My theory is this appears to be tied to the resolution or refresh rate exceeding the graphical capabilities of the macbooks, but this is happening across different models.

All of the previous hardware and displays has worked, so it cannot be a hardware issue.

I do like the new operating system, and would not want to revert to an older version simply to get my display working again.

I have attempted to go into the Displays setting and adjusting the resolution, but I mistakenly selected the "use as main display" dropdown (when using my laptop to adjust settings) and now cannot navigate/access to undo this mistake as it has to be in that mode to see that setting again. Other settings do not allow you to adjust display preferences - another potential fix in the future.

I hope apple can roll out a fix quickly, because this is debilitating.

Thank you,

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 8:18 PM

Same issue! My 49" LG 49WQ95C has been a huge productivity booster.... until the morning after installing Ventura. Screen looks just like Nate's. I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro 1.4 Ghz i5 chip and connecting to the monitor via USB-C to USB-C. Updated to Ventura 13.1 and next day, my super Ultrawide is unusable.

No, it's not the monitor or the cable -- they still work just fine with two Windows machines and my spouse's new MacBook Pro with the M2.

If I switch the LG to PBP mode, it works fine on HALF my screen. I did not invest in a 49" to have a 27". Hoping Mac has a fix in the works.

Similar questions

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2023 8:18 PM in response to NateTheGreatMacUser

Same issue! My 49" LG 49WQ95C has been a huge productivity booster.... until the morning after installing Ventura. Screen looks just like Nate's. I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro 1.4 Ghz i5 chip and connecting to the monitor via USB-C to USB-C. Updated to Ventura 13.1 and next day, my super Ultrawide is unusable.

No, it's not the monitor or the cable -- they still work just fine with two Windows machines and my spouse's new MacBook Pro with the M2.

If I switch the LG to PBP mode, it works fine on HALF my screen. I did not invest in a 49" to have a 27". Hoping Mac has a fix in the works.

Feb 14, 2023 11:09 AM in response to destiny241

destiny241

Can you please address this? Is there a fix expected?

I have a 49" SAMSUNG Display and this Ventura upgrade has been extremely frustrating to say the least. I have tried all of the above solutions and also tried other recommendations from other forums.

I also tried three monitors (49" and my old 27") the smaller resolution monitors don't have an issue stand alone, but when I connect all three, then I get the same fuzzy screen as above. I cannot even change any of the display settings on the laptop because the screen is just fuzzy.

Working in SAFE mode is not practical, so that is not a solution. The monitor works fine with other PCs and MacBook Air that doesn't have Ventura.

People have been posting about this for Months and Apple is keeping quiet.

Thank you.

Dec 18, 2022 1:29 PM in response to NateTheGreatMacUser

Hello NateTheGreatMacUser,

To confirm, this all started after upgrading to Ventura or after updating Ventura to 13.1? We ask because if the display is not compatible with Ventura, it won't work until the manufacturer provides drivers to enable the Mac to see the display. Without the display's information, it would be hard for us to check if there are any available drivers to provide. However, you can visit the manufacturer's website to check yourself.

If that doesn't help out, we'd actually test it out in safe mode to learn more about the issue. Here's how you could do that: How to use safe mode on your Mac

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue that doesn't seem to be associated with using any particular app. As always, keeping your software up to date is the first step toward resolving any software issue.

How to use safe mode

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

If the issue continues in safe mode

If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode

If the issue doesn't continue while in safe mode, leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally. Then test for the issue again. The issue might be resolved.

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:
- Test your login items.
- To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
- Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
- Reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Learn more

Some features might not work in safe mode, such as movie playback in DVD Player, video capture, file sharing, Wi-Fi, some accessibility features, some audio devices, and some devices that connect via USB, Thunderbolt, or FireWire. Accelerated graphics are disabled, which could cause blinking or distortion onscreen during startup.

This would tell us if something may be blocking the display from connecting.

We hope to hear how it goes, take care.

Mar 16, 2023 3:34 PM in response to thezv

If the external monitor works fine in Safe Mode it's an indiction that you have some 3rd party software installed that is interfering with the monitor.

Download and run Etrecheck. Be sure to give it Full Disk access before running.

Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Jan 27, 2023 7:15 PM in response to NateTheGreatMacUser

I have a exactly same problem! my LG 49 inch monitor was working fine on Monterey.

after updating to Ventura, the external display was unusable.

my laptop is 2017 MBP

under safe mode, the monitor worked.

open terminal every single time sudo sleep 20 ; sudo kill -9 $(pgrep WindowServer) -worked

but I had to downgrade to Monterey because it was so many steps to connect the monitor.

Feb 21, 2023 9:26 AM in response to destiny241

I had posted here a few days ago that since this was taking so long, I was going to contact consumer protection. Apple's answer, instead of trying to appease us as customers, was to delete my post. I'm almost sure this post will get deleted too, but just sharing to make you aware of the type of support that can be expected.

I hope I'm wrong and that apple steps up and gives us a solution here.

Mar 21, 2023 2:10 AM in response to destiny241

I've just reformatted my mbp SSD and installed a fresh copy of Ventura. First boot while connected to my Samsung G9 directly had this issue. No 3rd party software, nothing plugged in other than the monitor. Restarting the windowserver in the way suggested resolves this issue so long as I don't restart the Mac entirely.

Does that help you find a solution?

Ultrawide 49" Display <> Macbook Air 2018 in Ventura 13.1 issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.