Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB disconnect on restart MacOS Ventura

I've asked about a similar situation before to no response, I'm very curious if others have a similar situation and how I can solve this problem.

Since the Ventura update, the USB ports on my monitor haven't been working, or have been very inconsistent.

I ran my Mac Studio with various items plugged in to USB ports of my Asus monitors. And things worked fine for months. I upgraded to Ventura and since then, it has been a huge problem.

Suddenly, the ports I used for months no longer worked with the same items plugged in. I resorted to plugging things directly into the Mac Studio and unplugging when I didn't need them.

One day in desperation, I started switching all the ports around and found that certain peripherals worked in the monitor USB (Scarlett 2i, Rode USB mic), but things like my Logitech webcam won't. So I found a work around.

Well, now I have added more items. Recently, a StreamDeck+. I had it plugged directly into the monitor USB. It has worked for two weeks, no problems.

Today, I restarted my Mac Studio because I installed something that required it. Well, on restart, my StreamDeck+ no longer works in the port it was previously using. I recently added a thunderbolt hub with an NVME, which is on a separate Thunderbolt port. I had to move the StreamDeck+ to one of those ports to get it to work. Even though prior to restart they worked individually.

Is there a setting I'm missing? My Mac doesn't give me any kind of approval in Privacy & Security.

I just don't understand what causes the USB/port access to change between a restart. It has me almost terrified to restart because who knows what else will go wrong?

Mac Studio

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 7:09 AM

thisisonassis wrote:

Since the Ventura update, the USB ports on my monitor haven't been working, or have been very inconsistent.

I ran my Mac Studio with various items plugged in to USB ports of my Asus monitors. And things worked fine for months. I upgraded to Ventura and since then, it has been a huge problem.

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2022 7:09 AM in response to thisisonassis

thisisonassis wrote:

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.1

Jan 11, 2023 10:49 PM in response to leroydouglas

Actually, I was finally able to get it working. After my last comment. I decided to essentially break everything down again. What finally worked was:

1. Shut down the entire system. Not restart.
  2. Unplug everything.
  3. Remove power cable for 15-30 seconds.
  4. Restart with NOTHING plugged in. And let the computer load.
  5. Plug a single monitor into a different port. And once I logged in, plug in each peripheral one by one.

Once I plugged in my second monitor, I updated the power settings. It was set to Deep Sleep mode. I found an article mentioning that as a setting, which basically stops the wake signal, so I changed it to the other available option. In my case, I wasn't able to fully turn it off.

I then tested it by changing the system settings to shut off the monitor after 1 minute, and it finally both monitors responded by waking.

I then tested the USB ports. And FINALLY my system started to recognize all the devices it was previously having trouble with.

However, I then tested with a restart. And the problem struck again. The same devices attached to the monitor USB ports stopped working again.

So, I shut down, this time only unplugging the monitors. Then followed the above mentioned attachment strategy. One monitor after another.

And both started to work, along with the USB peripherals.

So, as far as I can tell. It remains a Ventura problem recognizing the ports. But it specifically seems to be related these devices being attached DURING a restart.

It seems like the process to follow is shut down. Unplug monitors. Restart. And then reattach monitors.

This still seems like a huge pain, but at least in my case access to it all is pretty easy. But thankfully it will only have to happen once a week at most. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

Jan 11, 2023 6:30 PM in response to leroydouglas

Yep. My Mac is up to date.

And yet another issue has developed. Now the Mac will only recognize one monitor if they turn off. If I let the Mac turn the monitors off at a specific intervals, it only recognizes one once I tap the keys or mouse. I have to physically unplug the monitor and plug it back in for the Mac to recognize it again. Turning on and off again doesn’t do anything. That is, if they go to sleep at all.

I’ve realized that is has been very inconsistent about turning the monitors off. Sometimes they will turn off, but at other times they just stay on for hours. I don’t let the computer sleep since I run a RAID, but that shouldn’t impact the monitors going to sleep after 10 minutes of no mouse/keyboard activity.

I’ve had to adjust the settings to keep the monitors from sleeping and I have to manually turn them on and off at each use. That seems to be the easiest way to keep them from running all night.

I’m honestly frustrated with it at this point. I love the computer’s power, but this issue only popped up when I switched from Monterey. I really wish I hadn’t upgraded. Never again.

USB disconnect on restart MacOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.