Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix unwanted blurring in iMovie

I recorded screen video with Quicktime. It looks crystal clear when played back with Quicktime. When the video is imported to iMovie, it becomes blurry. I suspect the problem is caused by iMovie changing the aspect ratio or just not keeping dimensions of the video as it was created.

Is there a way get my video into iMovie without it becoming blurry?

Thank you.

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2019 12:46 PM

Through web search, trial, and error, I found a way to retain the original resolution and keep the clarity. Here are the steps to getting high res from iMovie

1. Create a new event
  2. Before adding any other clip, add a "qualified" 4k video. Some 4k video works, some doesn't. I don't know how to determine which work without trying them. I found one that works.
  3. After adding the 4k clip, start the process of sharing the project as a file. Check the resolution select box for 4k and 1080p resolution. Before adding the 4k video clip, oMovie was offering only 720p for my output. AllI needed was 1080p

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2019 12:46 PM in response to danallenhouston

Through web search, trial, and error, I found a way to retain the original resolution and keep the clarity. Here are the steps to getting high res from iMovie

1. Create a new event
  2. Before adding any other clip, add a "qualified" 4k video. Some 4k video works, some doesn't. I don't know how to determine which work without trying them. I found one that works.
  3. After adding the 4k clip, start the process of sharing the project as a file. Check the resolution select box for 4k and 1080p resolution. Before adding the 4k video clip, oMovie was offering only 720p for my output. AllI needed was 1080p

How to fix unwanted blurring in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.