Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable airpods microphone

Hi guys!

I am a happy user of recording apps such as Voice Notes from Apple or Dictaphone.

I tend to use it with cord earphones, to record without earphones and hear the recording with the earphones. 

However, I recently acquired Apple AirPods and I would like to record with the phone microphone (while wearing the AirPods) and hear the recording through the AirPods. However, this is not possible because Dictaphone is using the AirPods mic instead of the phone´s mic. 

Do you know how to solve this?

Ideally I would like to:

1. Always record through the iPhone mic

+

2. Always hear the recording through the AirPods

My phone is an iPhone 7+ running iOS 12, by the way. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2019 6:08 AM

Thank you so much for your helpful answer!

2 replies

Jan 21, 2019 7:56 PM in response to Pax40

Hi 

Thanks for using the  Apple Support Communities.

When you use AirPod(s), the microphone on AirPod(s) will be the only sound input for the device. By default, Microphone is set to Automatic, so that either of your AirPods can act as the microphone. If you're using only one AirPod, that AirPod will be the microphone. You can set always use left/right Microphone to Always Left or Always Right, but you can't use AirPods and use iPhone microphone at the same time.

You may want to submit a Product Feedback to Apple, so they can review and may add this feature in the future software/hardware update.

Best Regards,

Juitse

--

Need More help? Please contact Apple Support to speak/chat with an Apple Advisor 

Resource for this issue

https://support.apple.com/HT207009

How to disable airpods microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.