Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't drag text from Safari webpages with Magic Mouse 2

I'm finding I'm unable to drag selected text (textClippings) from webpages in Safari to the Finder, nor, as in this text entry dialog, can I drag selected text from one part of text to another.

After selecting some text with the Mouse, releasing the mouse-down, then single clicking within the selected text (to begin a drag), all of the text, other than the whole word under the cursor, is deselected and no dragging is allowed. p.s., it behaves a little differently in this text dialog but still no dragging

I can drag text from Safari using a Logitech Slimblade and the Mouse can drag text from other apps (e.g., Firefox, from within a TextEdit doc, the About this Mac dialog, etc)... just not Safari (so far...)

I've made a few quick forays searching @ Apple Communities and "out there" and haven't found anything similar.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017

Safari Version 12.0.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2019 5:57 AM

1. Relaunch Finder and test.

1. Close all windows and quit all applications.

2. Click  in the menubar and then “Force Quit Finder”.

3. Click “Relaunch” and confirm it. 

2. Disable all extensions and test.

Disable or uninstall extensions.

Section: Manage extensions: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-safari-extensions-sfri32508/mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2019 5:57 AM in response to jeffs17

1. Relaunch Finder and test.

1. Close all windows and quit all applications.

2. Click  in the menubar and then “Force Quit Finder”.

3. Click “Relaunch” and confirm it. 

2. Disable all extensions and test.

Disable or uninstall extensions.

Section: Manage extensions: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-safari-extensions-sfri32508/mac

Can't drag text from Safari webpages with Magic Mouse 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.