Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to find source of audio stutter.

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help. 2016 MBP. Large iTunes library—all 44.1/16-bit/aif. I've always been satisfied with line-out analog (on an old Mac Pro) or headphone out (on notebooks). Occasionally I feed them to something like a Schiit Magni, if needed. But with this newer MBP (same thing with a 2017 MB) I have no 16-bit output option available in Audio Midi Setup app (only 24-bit). I'm assuming that auto upsampling (or resampling) to 24-bit is going on. If so, could this be causing the random stutters I hear in playback (maybe half a dozen times or so in an hour, on average) on these two devices? I never have had this problem on older Macs—those on which I can set the built-in output to 44.1/16-bit. Again, thanks in advance for your time/help.

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 12:30 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 22, 2019 6:40 AM in response to 4grb4

I posted the original. One correction: when I said I've seen the same thing with a 2017 MB, I should have said MBP. As for a MacBook (not Pro), I have seen the 2 channel, 16-bit option on a 2017 MacBook—just not, as I've said, on the 2016-7 MBPs. Haven't seen a 2018 model (nor the latest Mini or iMac). In a nutshell, I'm finding that machines that have the 44.1/2 channel 16-bit Integer option for the built-in output—no stutter. Those that have only the 24-bit option—stutter. And again, the source iTunes library is all 44.1/16-bit/aif. Thanks.

Trying to find source of audio stutter.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.