Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When is macOS Mojave changing system requirements for Garageband, the 32 vs 64?

Hello All, I read that Garageband will no longer be available after a time, if a computer such as mine 2017 imac with Mojave is of 32 (or 34) instead of 64, does anyone know how to get more info on this, and if I have to transfer all my gragaeband files somewhere else and then get a new computer in order to have garageband again? what is the date that garageband is being removed from my computer?

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 11:43 AM

The next system version, to be released after macOS 10.14 Mojave, will probably break older applications, that have 32-bit components. Once a month you may be seeing an alert, if you launch an older application, that will not work on the next system to come.

You can check your mac for such software, if you go to the -menu and hold down the options key ⌥ while clicking the . Then select "System profile" from the menu. In the System profile scroll down to "Software" and click "Applications". The last column in the Applications list is showing, if an application is 64 bit or has 32-bit components. You may also look at the "Legacy" item in the Software list. GarageBand 6.0.5 is doomed, as it iPhoto 9.6.1 or Aperture 3.6, and many, many more.

You are not forced to upgrade to a newer system - run the system and the software on your computer, that are currently working.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2019 11:43 AM in response to mactide8

The next system version, to be released after macOS 10.14 Mojave, will probably break older applications, that have 32-bit components. Once a month you may be seeing an alert, if you launch an older application, that will not work on the next system to come.

You can check your mac for such software, if you go to the -menu and hold down the options key ⌥ while clicking the . Then select "System profile" from the menu. In the System profile scroll down to "Software" and click "Applications". The last column in the Applications list is showing, if an application is 64 bit or has 32-bit components. You may also look at the "Legacy" item in the Software list. GarageBand 6.0.5 is doomed, as it iPhoto 9.6.1 or Aperture 3.6, and many, many more.

You are not forced to upgrade to a newer system - run the system and the software on your computer, that are currently working.

Jan 24, 2019 10:53 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your reply! I just followed your clear instructions, thank you for that, and yes, I only have 32 for gb and it's GB 6, so I can't even bring it up on my computer, have lost my music on this computer, but had kept gb on my old computer, so all my songs should still be there, going to check that now. A pop up stated that this computer does not support GB 6, so there is new version for gb I will try.

When is macOS Mojave changing system requirements for Garageband, the 32 vs 64?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.