Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Pavilion Wireless Keyboard 800 not working after login

Hey all,

I've purchased a HP Pavilion Wireless Keyboard and Mouse 800 (Black). It has a single USB dongle for the keyboard and mouse.

The mouse works fine.

The keyboard appears to work fine on the login screen only. After I log in, buttons on the keyboard like volume up/down and brightness up/down work but nothing else.

MacOS launches the app to detect the keyboard type asking me to press the key to the right of the left shift, but nothing works. In the settings where you can map the Windows keys to MacOS functions, it correctly describes the keyboard as a HP Wireless 800 (or similar wording - on a different PC right now).

So all up, it would certainly appear that it can detect the presence of a keyboard, can identify the brand and model and even works on the login screen.. just not after you log in.

I've done some research and tried..

1. Using a different log in. Happens on all accounts.
  2. Safe Mode boot.. actually, in this mode not even on the login screen does it work.
  3. Reset NVRAM/PRAM. This doesn't resolve it.
  4. Reset SMC. This doesn't resolve i t.
  5. Someone mentioned pressing Alt 5 times and it fixed it for some people..? I couldn't work out where to even do this..?
  6. Rebooting many times.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Macbook (2015 or later)

Posted on Jan 22, 2019 2:58 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 27, 2019 2:33 PM in response to jeremy_v

Well, I can and will though the retailer website says it is. You’d also be forgiven for wondering why it works just fine on the MacOS login screen, but then once logged in, stops working.

It feels like a MacOS issue. I didn’t need to install any drivers to get this behaviour, plus when you’re in the Keyboard settings, it identifies the keyboard as a, “HP Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Kit 800”.

Jan 23, 2019 2:33 PM in response to KingErasmas

Hi KingErasmas,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're running into some issues using an HP keyboard with your Mac.

You've done some great troubleshooting so far. Knowing that the same issue occurs in multiple user accounts helps narrow things down quite a bit. There are a few other steps you might try.

Does it make a difference if you connect the keyboard/mouse to another USB port on your Mac?

Also, which macOS version are you using? Updating to the latest can help clear up a lot of similar issues. If needed, here's how to make a backup and then update: Back up your Mac with Time Machine and How to update the software on your Mac.

As another test, do you have another USB keyboard handy? If you do, try connecting that to see if you get similar results.

I hope this helps you!

Take care.

Jan 27, 2019 12:32 PM in response to vilius113

Hi,

The keyboard and mouse work fine on Windows but it makes no difference on which USB port is used on the Mac.

I’m on the latest MacOS 10.14.3.

Other USB keyboard and mice work when they’re hard wired. I also tried disabling Bluetooth and ensured none of the accessibility features were on. Still not working.

Is there a hardware compatibility list for MacOS? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2019 2:01 PM in response to KingErasmas

Hello KingErasmas,

We appreciate the follow-up. Since other USB input devices seem to work as expected, and you've found the issue persists after the troubleshooting you mentioned, I recommend getting in touch with the manufacturer to ensure it's compatible with Mac. While there's not a list of hardware that's compatible with macOS, the manufacturer should be able to advise on their specific product.

Kind regards.

HP Pavilion Wireless Keyboard 800 not working after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.