Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the 12w power adapter for my Series 3 Watch?

I am starting to use the 12w (5.2v) power adapter that came with my iPad 6 gen to charge my iPad and my iPhone X. But I'm wondering if it is ok to use it with my iWatch Series 3 as well or if I need to only use the small 5v adapter. Can anyone help?

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 9:17 AM

Yes. There is no risk, or danger in using the 12 watt charger to charge the Apple watch. The charging circuit in all Apple devices is smart, and will only ever draw as much power as it requires. It cannot be overcharged, and it cannot receive more power than it needs, since power is not pushed to it, it is drawn by it.

You can see the compatibility section for the 12 watt charger here: Apple 12W USB Power Adapter - Apple

It clearly states it is compatible with the Apple Watch.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2019 9:17 AM in response to h80tw

Yes. There is no risk, or danger in using the 12 watt charger to charge the Apple watch. The charging circuit in all Apple devices is smart, and will only ever draw as much power as it requires. It cannot be overcharged, and it cannot receive more power than it needs, since power is not pushed to it, it is drawn by it.

You can see the compatibility section for the 12 watt charger here: Apple 12W USB Power Adapter - Apple

It clearly states it is compatible with the Apple Watch.

Jan 24, 2019 5:58 AM in response to julieda

I'm looking to buy a couple more power adapters and cables so that I don't have to carry around my 'man bag' that has all my charging cables from home to the office. I typically have my iPad, iPhone and watch at the office with me and if I can have an adapter that will charge everything well, unlike trying the regular little adapter that comes with the phone to charge my iPad because that takes forever!!! then that is great and all I need. Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

Can I use the 12w power adapter for my Series 3 Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.