Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app crashes

IPhone 6s , 12.1.3 but was happening with 12.1.2 as well. Click to open Mail, click a mail item to read, item opens for second or two then app crashes. Have closed app, restarted. Have tried offload app and reinstall app. Happening across all accounts. Do I really need to delete all accounts and re-add them? Thanks for any tips.

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2019 4:06 PM

Resolved: For me it was the extra layer of security that is now part of my Yahoo email. I found this after reinstalling iOS 12.1.3 several time - which likely I never needed to do. I have several Gmail accounts, including a company Gmail, as well as iCloud and Yahoo. When I added Yahoo it seemed to cause "Checking for mail..." to run forever. Likely this was happening even with Fetch only (no Push) every hour. This would cause all mail accounts to have difficulty synching and frequent crashes. Maybe it was because a couple of weeks ago I increased my security on my Yahoo, put two factor into effect and changed password. I don't use my old Yahoo much so I will use the Yahoo app to check that mail until all players agree on how to handle two level security and then maybe there will be a place to add the Yahoo app password along regular password to Mail app.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2019 4:06 PM in response to Peter DiSalvo

Resolved: For me it was the extra layer of security that is now part of my Yahoo email. I found this after reinstalling iOS 12.1.3 several time - which likely I never needed to do. I have several Gmail accounts, including a company Gmail, as well as iCloud and Yahoo. When I added Yahoo it seemed to cause "Checking for mail..." to run forever. Likely this was happening even with Fetch only (no Push) every hour. This would cause all mail accounts to have difficulty synching and frequent crashes. Maybe it was because a couple of weeks ago I increased my security on my Yahoo, put two factor into effect and changed password. I don't use my old Yahoo much so I will use the Yahoo app to check that mail until all players agree on how to handle two level security and then maybe there will be a place to add the Yahoo app password along regular password to Mail app.

Jan 25, 2019 7:05 AM in response to Peter DiSalvo

I did a reset and restore from my iCloud as was suggested on another forum but no change. Mail app still crashes. I do have Gmail app on my phone works fine - but I don’t want to change all my accounts over to using that I prefer Mail . Also I notice the on off toggle for mail in Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Accoonts does not work For my Gmail or Yahoo accounts. I try to slide “off” and it bounces back to being “on”. However my iCloud mail the “on /off” slide works fine.

Mail app crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.