Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IDVD fix for High Sierra and for Mojave

IDVD was not showing the right info on most of the templates and was acting like it was missing files. That is when I had the IDVD.App in the Applications directory. I moved the IDVD.app to a local plugged in external device like my MEDIA drive and I just run it from there and it fixed everything. It is still working like a charm for me. Try this and I am sure it will work for you. I tried it on 3 different machine to backup my theory and all machines did the same exact thing and they all had the same results.

Here is what I did to fix the issue.

mtanner

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 1:28 PM

I looked into it from your previous comment. I hope this answers the question that you have.

IDVD has a couple ways of saving your projects.

1. Save As... Saves the project as reference files. So if you save something on a previous drive or a data (External) or something like that. When you goto load the file and it is pointing to an old (External) drive or old area where these files were at at the time of creating the file that is why you are getting a blank screen because the file is not there as saved in the reference file.
  2. Save.. Same thing as Save as..
  3. Archive project... Copies all the files into a file folder so when you open it, it references that directory only and pulls all the files from that project folder. So all of your backgrounds, sounds, and other multimedia that is entangled in your project. If you have any of the old files such as the sounds and the backgrounds etc, you can tell IDVD to locate the files. So you have to do a browse and locate the files again. Once you have the IDVD project set back up the way you want it then do archive project. It has saved my butt two or three times now using that feature.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2019 1:28 PM in response to Rich839

I looked into it from your previous comment. I hope this answers the question that you have.

IDVD has a couple ways of saving your projects.

1. Save As... Saves the project as reference files. So if you save something on a previous drive or a data (External) or something like that. When you goto load the file and it is pointing to an old (External) drive or old area where these files were at at the time of creating the file that is why you are getting a blank screen because the file is not there as saved in the reference file.
  2. Save.. Same thing as Save as..
  3. Archive project... Copies all the files into a file folder so when you open it, it references that directory only and pulls all the files from that project folder. So all of your backgrounds, sounds, and other multimedia that is entangled in your project. If you have any of the old files such as the sounds and the backgrounds etc, you can tell IDVD to locate the files. So you have to do a browse and locate the files again. Once you have the IDVD project set back up the way you want it then do archive project. It has saved my butt two or three times now using that feature.

Jan 25, 2019 8:25 AM in response to mtanner47

Hey, good work mtanner 47. Thanks very much for posting that.

To test, I opened iDVD from an external disc where I had copied it there as a backup. To my surprise, the themes now seemed to be working properly (they weren't on my computer's drive) as you said, including the animated ones. I chose the Reflection White theme and populated the drop zones with photos and dragged in a movie. I then added chapter markers. Everything worked fine. I saved the project to my desktop and then saved it as a disc image. No problem with the encoding and the disc image played fine.

The only glitch that I found was when I went back to the desktop and opened the iDVD project that I had saved, the menu showed only a blank gray screen. No photos, titles, or movie button. I then clicked on the DVD Map button below the screen and clicked on the Movie icon within it. The main screen came up still showing a gray background but this time the title and the play movie buttons were displayed. No photos or animation, however. When I clicked on the movie button the movie did play fine. But when I exited the movie the main menu screen still showed blank gray, with only title and and movie buttons, and no photos or animation.

I didn't try any other themes, and I have to do more testing on this. The glitch about the blank gray screen on the saved iDVD project might be confined to the Reflection White theme. The iDVD project still was playable -- just showed a blank menu screen. I suppose that once you have a successful disc image the only need that you would have for the iDVD project itself is if you wanted to do more editing on the project. I wonder if I had archived it before saving whether that would have made any difference.

Thanks again for your post.

-- Rich

Jan 25, 2019 10:37 AM in response to mtanner47

Whether archived or not archived, It did not help to move the iDVD project from my APFS main drive to the Max OS Extended (Journaled) external drive that I used to create the project. It still showed a blank gray screen when opened on the external drive. I tried a Save As to the external drive, but still no difference. Next time I will initially save the project to the external drive rather than to my desktop and see if that makes a difference.

-- Rich

Jan 25, 2019 10:47 AM in response to mtanner47

For sure it's a bonus. I had pretty much given up on the animated themes on Mojave. Was using an older computer running El Capitan to burn DVDs. So thanks much.

I suspect that if the project is initially saved to the external drive it may display properly. If you could check to see whether your findings agree with mine about the blank screen, that would be much appreciated.

-- Rich

Feb 11, 2019 1:35 PM in response to Rich839

I am not sure if you did this or not already, but have you tried to copy the archive file off of the Main drive and put it on an external as well and see if they come in. I still think that APFS really messes with the IDVD for some reason. I did that with a couple of my presentations off of IDVD and it seemed to work for me.

I tried to use it with the GUID before converting over to APFS and everything worked fine. Once it upgraded to APFS then all **** broke loose and I was really disappointed in Apple for dropping the ball on IDVD. It is the smoothest and the most reliable DVD creation program out. Trust me I have tried them all. At this point I am even trying to learn to make my own themes from scratch and not just use Apples themes. Now that I can keep IDVD up and running I will continue to use it.

Mar 22, 2019 1:21 PM in response to mtanner47

>>I was really disappointed in Apple for dropping the ball on IDVD. It is the smoothest and the most reliable DVD creation program out. Trust me I have tried them all. At this point I am even trying to learn to make my own themes from scratch and not just use Apples themes. Now that I can keep IDVD up and running I will continue to use it. <<

Many are in the same situation as you. In our video labs, we have Macs that are "frozen" to 10.9.5. We use these for our video work. They run iDVD and iMovie HD 06 with no fuss. For Blu-rays, we use Toast.

IDVD fix for High Sierra and for Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.