Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add an external audio device?

I've been scouring the internet for hours trying find out how to add an external microphone that I have to my Mac. I bought a splitter online, put in my microphone and earbuds, put it into the computer, but for some reason it won't connect at all. I've seen other videos that say it should work, but it isn't working. This is my setup:

Before I plug the adapter into my iMac:I plug in my adapter:After:Nothing happens. It stays the same. Can someone please help me find a way to plug my microphone into toy iMac? Anyone who could would be a big help.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 5:55 PM

If you want to use the mic you already own you'll need to get a 'digital audio interface' (google it). You'll first plug the end of your audio jack into a 1/4 inch adapter so it will work with standard audio equipment. Then plug that into the interface. Buy local at a physical music store rather than online so you can talk to the salesperson and get what you want - the physical stores near me usually match online prices. I have an ancient Onyx Blackjack that cost $100 or so and it works fine (for what it is, which is an inexpensive interface) and there are lots of other inexpensive options out there. Or spend like an Apple customer and check out Apogee products.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2019 5:55 PM in response to John Galt

If you want to use the mic you already own you'll need to get a 'digital audio interface' (google it). You'll first plug the end of your audio jack into a 1/4 inch adapter so it will work with standard audio equipment. Then plug that into the interface. Buy local at a physical music store rather than online so you can talk to the salesperson and get what you want - the physical stores near me usually match online prices. I have an ancient Onyx Blackjack that cost $100 or so and it works fine (for what it is, which is an inexpensive interface) and there are lots of other inexpensive options out there. Or spend like an Apple customer and check out Apogee products.

How do I add an external audio device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.