Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.14.3 won't install; Software Update or Combo Update

MBP late 2017 4x TB ports, Apple SSD, formatted however MacOS thought was suitable. It has been updated to 10.14, 10.14.1, 10.14.2, no problem. 10.14.3 from Software Updates is stuck on Downloading/Fail. ("Installation Failed An error occurred while installing the selected updates.") After some Googling, I tried the 10.14.3 combo update. It fails and reports "can't be installed on this disk".

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 10:26 PM

As you are on 10.14.2 just use the Delta standalone update it works fine it is just the Combo that has a problem.

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.3 Update

If you want to try Software Update again, connect your Mac to your router via cable rather than WiFi, this should mean faster download speed and a more robust connection.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2019 10:26 PM in response to Dick Watson

As you are on 10.14.2 just use the Delta standalone update it works fine it is just the Combo that has a problem.

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.3 Update

If you want to try Software Update again, connect your Mac to your router via cable rather than WiFi, this should mean faster download speed and a more robust connection.

Jan 23, 2019 9:32 PM in response to Dick Watson

Try following Eau Rouge's suggestion from this Discussion: macOS 10.14.3 Update can't be installed on this disk... It is described a few replies down from the first page.

I didn't experience any difficulty just using Software Update so I can't personally confirm its applicability to that problem.

The remainder of that Discussion contains a lot of noise.

Jan 23, 2019 9:48 PM in response to John Galt

Yes, that other thread was just way to full of useless noise. So I bugged out to here.

I saw the post about hacking the .pkg but a) I'm struggling with why this would be my problem since I'm on 10.14.2 just fine so it should be a build right in the wheelhouse for Software Update, and b) this kind of hackery, on a Mac anyway, is a rathole I've never ventured down. So I guess I'll just keep an eye out for a more straightforward fix--or a way to prove from my install log or whatever that this is even the problem I'm having. In the meantime, maybe Apple will see lots of problems in the telemetry and go fix the Software Update and/or combo update. Or maybe 10.14.4 will work? I just hope this downloaded but not installed odd state doesn't break Software Update forever.

There's lots of advertising from competitors selling the proposition that Windows is the only platform with update headaches. It just ain't so...

Jan 23, 2019 10:15 PM in response to Dick Watson

If a lot of people experience problems it's likely that Apple will release a subsequent update that fixes whatever is wrong with the existing one. It's happened before.

They won't be motivated to do anything unless tell them though. If you are inclined to do so, Contact Support, tell them it's not working, and ask what they intend to do about it. Apple does not routinely use this site to collect that kind of information—there's simply too much "noise" for it to be useful.

In the meantime Eau Rouge's procedure seems valid, if daunting, and something no Mac user should have to endure. Like I said I can't personally verify it since the updates worked on all my Macs.

Jan 24, 2019 11:53 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I had tried Software Update multiple times again, but it always just flashed up the Download and Restart box for a second or less then put up the Installation Fail box. I don't think WiFi was ever the issue. The 2GB downloads came down in a minute or so without any ado.

Anyway, your third method worked just fine. As easy as the other two should have been, Go figure. I wish there was a "This worked around my issue" button...

10.14.3 won't install; Software Update or Combo Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.