Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there (yet) any way to download entire folders from icloud.com as a zip file?

I am aware of this thread that already posed this question, but as far as I can tell there is still no answer.

I've gotten myself mired in a situation where I have a huge amount of my work files on iCloud Drive and it's becoming completely unusable. My Mac's drive is full and iCloud Drive is constantly moving files into the cloud. It is transferring data constantly, using up a ton of bandwidth. Files I need to access -- even small ones -- take several minutes to download as the Mac is already hung up on other iCloud Drive file transfers.

THIS is why I want a way to download my files as a zip. I just need to get a complete archive of what I have in iCloud Drive so I can store it elsewhere.

Other cloud storage services like Google Drive and Dropbox let you download folders as a zip file. There are plenty of reasons other than what I'm describing where someone might need to do this. For instance, what if I'm visiting my parents without my laptop and I need to access a work project from their computer? If I'm trying to work with a bunch of nested folders, downloading each file individually is not feasible.

(I say this to stave off the inevitable confrontational "Why would you want to do that anyway?" response questions like this always seem to elicit. Just because you don't have a reason, or haven't encountered a particular situation, doesn't mean it can't happen for someone else.)

I plan to submit feedback to Apple asking for this feature, but I am also posting this here just hoping against hope that maybe there's a way to do this that I haven't figured out. Because right now I'm resorting to sitting with a Finder window open to iCloud Drive, watching for folders whose cloud icons go away, copying them to an external SSD, deleting them from iCloud Drive to free up local space, repeat. There has got to be a better way.

MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 24, 2019 9:19 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 25, 2019 3:53 AM in response to Room 34

See this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203052

What if my files don't update to iCloud? 

Check these things first:

If you tried these steps and your files still don’t upload to iCloud, stay signed in to iCloud and save your updated files to a different folder on your Mac or PC

Also read this article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201104

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/system-information/sysp4ee93ca4/mac

Note : Zipping files is not a solution , make sure whatever iCloud storage data you have choosen , the data must be in limits ,if it exceeds reduce it using optimise feature or delete unwanted files , or purchase a new iCloud storage as per situations .

Jan 26, 2019 9:25 AM in response to Room 34

Hello!

You cannot directly compress a folder from www.icloud.com perhaps tap the folder and click on download button , it will be moved in finder > download folder .

Then right click on the folder and click on compress .When you use get info definitely the folder size will be reduced , and in the contextual menu click on share some options will be shown share with mail , messages , air drop ....etc with another computer .

Jan 25, 2019 6:20 AM in response to tygb

Thanks for your reply, but it does not address my issue at all.

I am trying to find a way to download an entire folder (as a zip) FROM icloud.com onto (effectively) another computer.

This seems to just be a fundamental flaw in icloud.com. You should be able to download an entire folder. The whole point of icloud.com is to be able to access your files from a device/computer other than your main Mac. Why even allow individual file downloads? Why even have icloud.com at all? Being able to download an entire folder at once (including nested subfolders) should be a no-brainer.

Jan 25, 2019 4:34 PM in response to Room 34

This seems to just be a fundamental flaw in icloud.com. You should be able to download an entire folder. The whole point of icloud.com is to be able to access your files from a device/computer other than your main Mac. Why even allow individual file downloads? Why even have icloud.com at all? Being able to download an entire folder at once (including nested subfolders) should be a no-brainer.

And not yelling at volunteers in this community who do not make policy seems also a no-brainer.

Why even have icloud.com at all?

Why ask unanswerable questions? Nobody here could possibly speak to your question.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://apple.com/feedback

Jan 26, 2019 8:50 AM in response to LACAllen

Is there any way to download an entire folder at once from icloud.com, i.e. as a zip file?

Please don't reply unless you have used a service like Dropbox (which lets you download an entire folder from its web interface as a zip file) and understand the question I am asking.

Or, admins, please feel free to lock and/or delete this entire thread, because it seems pointless to try to get an answer here.

[Edited by Host]

Jan 26, 2019 9:57 AM in response to Room 34

I have used Dropbox, although I don’t see how that relates to your question about iCloud.

you got your answer.

No.

yiu can’t zip files and download that zip file from iCloud. You knew you got an answer because you then ranted about the answer.

if iCloud is lacking certain features you feel should be in place, I suggest you use the feedback link I provided to tell Apple how you feel.

nobody here can help you.

Is there (yet) any way to download entire folders from icloud.com as a zip file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.