Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade or Replace Late 2013 iMac?

Good Day,

Seeking insights on what we should do about our 'slow' Apple iMac "Core i5" 2.7 21.5-Inch (Late 2013)

macOS 10.14, 8GB Ram, 1 TB standard hard drive (about half full)

Set up with two user accounts (mine and my wife's), Time Machine enabled

Predominantly used for Safari, MS Office, iPhoto, GarageSale (ebay listing app) and Blurb Book making

The computer has not been running great for some time, particularly switching users, even switching or opening apps, opening a menu in an app to find a iPhoto, sending print jobs to label printer, slows down in all cases, get beach ball sometimes too.

Figure there are are three options, make adjustments to software (cost my time), hardware ($85-220) or new computer($1700).

Software:

Any hot tips on the the software side to try to speed up things or best practices for multi users? I have found it better to leave both logged in but to quit open apps before switching to the other user. If you log out of a user then takes ten minutes to log back into the user particularly if it has been days since you were in it. I do have malware bites and AVG antivirus installed, though they are set to run periodically and not on constant scan mode. Should I remove these?

Hardware

Is it worth tearing the machine down to upgrade Ram to 16GB (do I need OWC brand?) and do you think this will help enough to make it worth the hassle? At the same time should I be upgrading to a 1TB SSD? Will I notice more speed from doing one or the other or do I need to do both?

Have watched some videos and it looks like a hassle but with right tools, possible.

New Computer

Who would not want a new computer?! Would rather not have to reallocate my budget to buy a new one at this time if we do not have to.

Welcome suggestions on the above and hope we can get it running a little faster to keep it on the desk for a few years longer. Would end up being about $1200 out of pocket if I sold this one for $500.

Jerome

Posted on Jan 24, 2019 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2019 12:22 PM

Have you tried Erasing the drive and Installing macOS from scratch? Lot cheaper and doesn't take too much of your valuable time. Hard to select the best option for you. We don't know how much time each of your options require, and what an hour of your time is worth. We also don't know what the component costs will be for each option.

Ways to Help Make a Slow Mac Faster

1. 17 Reasons Why Your Mac Runs Slower Than it Should
  2. Slow Mac Performance? This Article Solves It!
  3. Fix slow start-ups in OS X | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews
  4. How to fix slow shutdown and startup times. | MacTip.net
  5. 6 Easy Tips to Speed Up OS X Yosemite on Your Mac
  6. OS X El Capitan- If your Mac runs slowly
  7. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Performance
  8. Tips to Fix Issues that affect Mac Performance
  9. Avoid using any third-party cleanup software. Usually, this software does more bad than good. You don't need it. All computers become slower over time even under normal use. Experienced users erase the hard drive and do a clean install from scratch from time to time; or whenever installing a major OS upgrade. Doing so means you must maintain regular and multiple backups.
  10. If you have enabled iCloud Disk and are storing your Documents and Data in iCloud, then consider turning that off and signing out of iCloud. It can slow down the computer considerably. Please see the following from the user, fotomac: "The solution was to SIGN OUT of iCloud and my problem STOPPED! NO MORE SPINNING BEACHBALL! My computer's speed increased to what it should be and all my Apps now work!"
  11. Add more RAM or cut back on the number of concurrently running applications and utilities. Remove unnecessary anti-malware software and any software that promises to clean your Mac. Check for runaway processes: Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan activity. Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on dealing with The Spinning Beach Ball of Death.
  12. The Ultimate Fix: Backup everything, erase the drive, reinstall OS X, and restore your data from the backup. Reinstall third-party software from original media/scratch.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2019 12:22 PM in response to C. Jerome

Have you tried Erasing the drive and Installing macOS from scratch? Lot cheaper and doesn't take too much of your valuable time. Hard to select the best option for you. We don't know how much time each of your options require, and what an hour of your time is worth. We also don't know what the component costs will be for each option.

Ways to Help Make a Slow Mac Faster

1. 17 Reasons Why Your Mac Runs Slower Than it Should
  2. Slow Mac Performance? This Article Solves It!
  3. Fix slow start-ups in OS X | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews
  4. How to fix slow shutdown and startup times. | MacTip.net
  5. 6 Easy Tips to Speed Up OS X Yosemite on Your Mac
  6. OS X El Capitan- If your Mac runs slowly
  7. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Performance
  8. Tips to Fix Issues that affect Mac Performance
  9. Avoid using any third-party cleanup software. Usually, this software does more bad than good. You don't need it. All computers become slower over time even under normal use. Experienced users erase the hard drive and do a clean install from scratch from time to time; or whenever installing a major OS upgrade. Doing so means you must maintain regular and multiple backups.
  10. If you have enabled iCloud Disk and are storing your Documents and Data in iCloud, then consider turning that off and signing out of iCloud. It can slow down the computer considerably. Please see the following from the user, fotomac: "The solution was to SIGN OUT of iCloud and my problem STOPPED! NO MORE SPINNING BEACHBALL! My computer's speed increased to what it should be and all my Apps now work!"
  11. Add more RAM or cut back on the number of concurrently running applications and utilities. Remove unnecessary anti-malware software and any software that promises to clean your Mac. Check for runaway processes: Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan activity. Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on dealing with The Spinning Beach Ball of Death.
  12. The Ultimate Fix: Backup everything, erase the drive, reinstall OS X, and restore your data from the backup. Reinstall third-party software from original media/scratch.

Jan 25, 2019 3:17 AM in response to C. Jerome

Replacing RAM is a major operation in that model iMac. However,

you can get some performance improvement by migrating your system

to an external SSD boot drive.

The first option there would be either using Thunderbolt or USB 3 interface.

Thunderbolt will maximizes the performance of any SSD but will be a pricier

solution. USB3 based drive will not be quite as fast, but will still be much faster

than the slow internal HDD that is inside your iMac. Either approach should

give a a noticeable bump in performance with the bonus of not cracking

open your iMac. Either approach you would decide on, I suggest a buying

enclosure and stuffing it with a desired SSD rather that the "integrated" off

the shelve solution. If at some time in the future if you decide to crack

open your iMac, you could simply take the drive out of the enclosure and

stuff it in the iMac.

Check out OWC for their range of enclosures and drives:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/storage

If it were me, this would be step #1 I would take as it still has the path

to get all internal in the future if desired.

Feb 1, 2019 6:27 AM in response to C. Jerome

If it was fast and now it is slow it may be adware or some third party app that's slowing you down like an anti-virus or so-called "cleaning" app. You can run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information.

To post the log file copy & paste it using the Page icon in your reply window:

Jan 24, 2019 12:23 PM in response to Kappy

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.

Disconnect all third-party peripherals.

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)

Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences.

Start the computer in Safe Mode. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.

Use Apple Hardware Test to see if there is any hardware malfunction.

Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.

Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.

Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.

Download and install the OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or 10.12.6 Combo Update or Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 Combo Update or Get MacOS Mojave now from the Mac App Store as needed.

Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.

Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Feb 1, 2019 6:25 AM in response to C. Jerome

Update!

SSD and USB3 case (linked to in original post) finally arrived from Amazon (after they dropped the ball on 'two day' shipping). Formatted and installed Mojave. Spent 5-6 hours over two days manually reinstalling apps and migrating user date for our two accounts. Booting from the SSD via USB3, the computer is MUCH faster. Applications launch like they should, menus work faster, everything seems better. I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone to spend the money for this upgrade.

Curious how much of the slowdown on the old drive is from fragmentation, plan to do an experment and download a defrag app to run on the old drive and see if that makes it better, just for my own edification.

RAM seems to be running around the 6GB usage range with two users logged in and mail and safari open in both accounts.

The manual migration is a pain and requires some research to know which folders to move. I found this post of particular help for Mail.

Still have to verify data is intact on a few apps.

Also have to figure out how to bring over our printers from the old system, those are not working at the moment.

Still considering upgrading the RAM, if I decide to install the hard drive.

Will installing the hard dive in the computer make any appreciable difference?

Jerome

Feb 10, 2019 4:45 AM in response to macjack

Good Morning,

Have been running off the external SSD drive for a week. Computer has never been running faster! This is due to the SSD and I would think some to the 'clean' install I did. I had never really done this and had been rolling things over since 2002. My only concern is with the number below showing gigabytes of data in each of our user folders and then the other main folders.

They are basically in reverse order of concern, System seems fine, Library I would guess is slimmed down because I left behind 17 years of garbage (should I be looking for something else to move over here?), Apps, I only installed the stuff I know we use now, the users is where most of my concern is. What other files should I be looking for that maybe I missed?

Jerome

Jan 24, 2019 12:36 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy, thank you for the quick reply and links. I did list the costs rage of ram/SSD, a new computer (priced it at apple.com) and my time, if it was worth that much, I would have just ordered a new computer already!

Have not done an erase and install, that could be an option. When I set it back up can I use timemachine to restore or does that bring over all the 'cobwebs' that are slowing me down now?

Jan 24, 2019 12:59 PM in response to C. Jerome

Well, the procedure is to determine the total costs of choosing each option. Then you must allocate those costs over the expected lifetime of the machine for each selected option. Choose an appropriate discount rate and discount the projected costs for each option. Select the option with the highest present value.

If you want to minimize the costs of keeping the computer, then you need to perform an Erase and Install which should return the existing machine to its level of performance when new.

Personally, I would only return your files from your backup. Reinstall the third-party software from original media being sure to use only the latest versions so they are compatible with the current versions of macOS. Alternatively, take the time to go thru the procedures I posted to see if they improved performance without having to erase everything. But my opinion is an Erase and Install is the best thing to restore a computer to its "as new" level of performance. IMHO, it should be done at least once a year of prior to installing a new upgrade (not update) of the OS.

Jan 25, 2019 5:11 AM in response to woodmeister50

Now this is the kind of idea I’m looking for! In my original post I linked to a SSD and ram, the blue text. Will check out usb3 containers for it. Have you seen any articles on doing a fresh instal and then transferring over things like cookies and passwords, emails and templates from the old system? I did it once when we migrated our two computers to this iMac and remember it being a challenge.

I have take prior MacBooks and PowerBooks apart along with many iPhones to replace various parts, so I am somewhat comfortable with the idea of taking this one apart, would be nice to have the new hard drive all set though beforehand and or k ow that will help.

Last night I reviewed several of kappys links and followed the tips. Really the biggest difference came from only having one account logged in at a time. Mine logged in with safari, excel and mail open was using a little more than 5gb ram... can see where we are hitting the ceiling with just 8gb available.

Will look at drives today, does that one I linked to look good?

Jerome

Feb 10, 2019 5:41 AM in response to C. Jerome

The old saw, "if it's not broke, don't fix it" applies here. As long as you have sufficient free space on your hard drive, I wouldn't touch a thing. If you need the space and do try to slim it further, it would depend on which folders inside your 2 users are the large ones. If it's Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures then you can pare it down by copying larger, lesser used files off to other external media. I wouldn't mess with Library.

Feb 10, 2019 5:44 AM in response to macjack

I am not worried about the space, I am worried about data/files which are missing on 'new' computer which were on the old one which I might want to keep.

Using mail now I notice some of my mailboxes are missing old message, I guess this could contribute. They are not my 'primary' accounts so I will not worry too much.

Jerome

Upgrade or Replace Late 2013 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.