Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using dual monitors with Mac Mini

I have a new generation Mac mini and want to use a second monitor for an extended desktop view. I had one suggestion from the local Apple Store that would have been for a splitter that used the USB C output from the Mac to two HDMI outputs, but all the reviews on that device said that all it would give me was a mirror image of one monitor.

When I was online with setup support, the tech sent me a link to an HDMI splitter that looks like it does the same thing, only outputs from the HDMI output on the Mac instead of the USB C.

I want to have multiple windows open across two monitors. I had this easily on my desktop PC at my design job before I retired last month, and thought it would be easy to repeat this feat in the Mac world. So far, not so much. What am I missing here?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 25, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2019 11:58 AM

Just get two monitors with DisplayPort, miniDP or usb-c and cable each one to one of the four TB3/usb-c poets on the Mac mini.

I have a pair of Dell U2715h monitors, each connected to one (apiece) of the 2018 Mac mini TB3/usb-c ports by a DisplayPort-to-usb-c cable and that works just fine for extended desktop.

You could also plug one into HdMI and the other into TB/3.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2019 11:58 AM in response to Hawkbit

Just get two monitors with DisplayPort, miniDP or usb-c and cable each one to one of the four TB3/usb-c poets on the Mac mini.

I have a pair of Dell U2715h monitors, each connected to one (apiece) of the 2018 Mac mini TB3/usb-c ports by a DisplayPort-to-usb-c cable and that works just fine for extended desktop.

You could also plug one into HdMI and the other into TB/3.

Jan 25, 2019 1:00 PM in response to Michael Black

I have two ASUS PB258Q monitors with DisplayPort and HDMI inputs. One monitor is connected via HDMI from Mac to monitor. The other is now connected from USB-C (Thunderbolt) on the Mac to HDMI on the monitor.

It works, but a floating window isn't split; it will be on one monitor or the other.

I can live with this, but wondering if going USB-C to DP on both monitors will give me the window cross-monitor effect that I had on the PC screens previously. Do you know if that will make the difference?

Using dual monitors with Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.