Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail Contacts all deleted

Hello,

I have my contacts synced to across my iPhone and Gmail account. On Thursday I logged out of my iCloud account on my iPhone and used it to log in to my girlfriends account on the same iPhone. I then logged back out of her account and back in to mine. Everything has been fine since with all my contacts being visible, but today I have I have accessed my contacts on my phone to find all my that they have all been deleted. I then logged in to google on a web browser to look at my contacts and try an recover them but they too have all been deleted. Can some help me figure out what has happened? I had hoped that by syncing the contacts across my phone and google account that that might act as a back up, but it seems once all the contacts on my phone were deleted following logging out of my icloud account it has over written all my contacts on on my google account. Why?

Thanks

Matt

iPhone 6, 12

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 4:09 AM

1. In iPhone you cannot delete all contacts at one go. So it is impossible to delete all contacts, unless somebody does it intentionally
  2. Deleting contacts from Gmail webpage also requires to physically "select all" button and clicking on trash
  3. To restore a backup of your Gmail contacts, go to your inbox and select “Contacts” from the dropdown menu on your left hand side. Once you see the list of your contacts (or not), click on “More” to get to the dropdown menu, where you need to select the option “Restore contacts

If you are not able to restore them, then:

Conclusion. You never had any contacts on Gmail, ever. You must have had it elsewhere and have forgotten. Please re-think.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2019 4:09 AM in response to mm391

1. In iPhone you cannot delete all contacts at one go. So it is impossible to delete all contacts, unless somebody does it intentionally
  2. Deleting contacts from Gmail webpage also requires to physically "select all" button and clicking on trash
  3. To restore a backup of your Gmail contacts, go to your inbox and select “Contacts” from the dropdown menu on your left hand side. Once you see the list of your contacts (or not), click on “More” to get to the dropdown menu, where you need to select the option “Restore contacts

If you are not able to restore them, then:

Conclusion. You never had any contacts on Gmail, ever. You must have had it elsewhere and have forgotten. Please re-think.

Jan 27, 2019 4:43 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks fo rthe reply.

I use google for my main email, contacts and calendars, and therefore have my calendar and contacts set up so that they use gmail as my default. When I add a contact to my phone through the plus button in the top right had corner, it doesn't seem to add it to my gmail contacts tab/account it adds it to my iCloud tab/account. Therefore when I log in to gmail on a web browser the contact isn't there. How do I get this to change and is there a way of simultaneously adding the contact to both accounts so I only have to inout it once to my phone?

Thanks

Gmail Contacts all deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.