Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start menu down arrows after Windows 10 installation (Boot Camp)

The Windows 10 start menu doesn't seem to be loading up correctly after a fresh installation of Windows 10 (1809 October update). In the screenshot you can see a bunch of the tiles have these down arrows and these applications never seem to download. I think most of these apps are something like candy crush or the fitbit app that I would delete anyways, but I would like to get the system to download them on initial install.

I have tried fresh installing Windows 10 (both the 1809 update and the 1803 update) about 4 or 5 times now and every time I install it I have this same problem. If I installed the 1803 version and then let the 1809 version update run, these apps would get installed, however, this hasn't worked for me this time around. I have even tried fresh installing macOS and then setting up a fresh Boot Camp partition, but I still run in to this same problem. The only reason I thought this would help was because during initial setup I could never connect to a network because the wireless card driver hadn't been installed yet. I thought maybe there was something corrupted on my macOS install which wasn't letting some generic wifi driver get installed upon installation of Windows, but turns out this isn't the case.

One thing that does fix the start menu problem is to create a new user account, but then I run into a separate problem. When logging in to a new user account the boot camp control panel icon in the system tray never shows up. I could never figure out a way to get it to show up. I tried creating a shortcut from the control panel and putting that in the startup folder (windows key + r -> shell:startup), but that doesn't work either.

I'm at a loss of what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Macbook (2016 or later)

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 10:01 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Start menu down arrows after Windows 10 installation (Boot Camp)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.