Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing date and time on photo file itself

I want to organise my photo library so that they all appear in the library (more or less) at the time that they were taken.

I have a lot of photos and duplicates and photos with wrong capture date for different reasons: received by whatsapp and whatnot, old analog photos that were scanned recently or simply because someone didn't adjust the date and time on their camera prior to taking photos.

I haven't decided which photo software to use for good thus trying to change the date and time on the file itself. Finder doesn't care about EXIF-Meta-Data so I tried to use Mac OSX Photos to organise the photos and adjust date and time, find duplicates and delete photos. However, it's harder than I thought it would be, I can't just drag the photos from the library to a seperate folder on my machine and use this folder to fill the library. The EXIF data seems to be saved somewhere else in the macos photos library? 

I hope this is understandable and I appreciate all advice.

MacBook Pro 13", 10.13

Posted on Jan 27, 2019 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2019 11:42 AM

Use the Image ➙ Adjust Date & Time menu option:

and reset the timezone or adjustment as needed:

To keep the metadata that you've added or edited with the photos when you export them use either of these settings or originals

Keep the XML file with the image file when you move it or import it into another app so the metadata is included.

For the edited versions:

and the metadata will be embedded in the image file itself.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2019 11:42 AM in response to tgifred

Use the Image ➙ Adjust Date & Time menu option:

and reset the timezone or adjustment as needed:

To keep the metadata that you've added or edited with the photos when you export them use either of these settings or originals

Keep the XML file with the image file when you move it or import it into another app so the metadata is included.

For the edited versions:

and the metadata will be embedded in the image file itself.

changing date and time on photo file itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.