Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem exporting from iMovie on iPhone (and solution)

Hi all,

I hope this post is helpful for someone, if just for one I’m happy.

The post is about problem exporting an iMovie project from your iPhone.

I have created 50+ videos on my iPhone(s) and exported them from iMovie without any previous problem. But with the latest project (lenght on project about 30 min) it started exporting as usual but then it stopped exporting when about 55-65% was exported.

The solution to this (for me) was:

1. Find out where in the project it stopped exporting (about 55-65% from the start of the movie).
  2. First i took away the whole range from 55-65% from a project copy and started exporting - That export worked without any problem!
  3. After that I discovered that, within the range when the exporting problem occured, there was one clip with the ”Freeze future” (where you freeze the Movie for a bit). I deleted that clip from the original project and exported - no problem at all!
  4. After that I imported the ”error clip” but didn’t add the Freeze future - project exported without any problem!

(One strange thing is that I have one more Freeze clip within the project but the export doesn’t stop on that clip... I have also used the Freeze future before without any problem).

Before I came up with the above solution I’ve tried the below steps WITHOUT any luck:

1. Add one picture in the begining of the project.
  2. Delete slowmotion clips.
  3. Deleted clips <2 seconds.
  4. Exported project to iCloud and imported it on my Mac and also my iPad (didn’t support the format) - my thougt was to export it from another device.
  5. Tried to save the project to other forms than camera roll (iCloud, iTunes etc.).
  6. Export with flight mode.
  7. Exporting to all different resolutions.

Probably I tested more (about every other tip from Google and youtube) things that I don’t remember.

Hope this post can help someone.

Just a note: when I were exporting the Movie the first time I got an incoming call which might have made something corrupt with the export/project, don’t know but thougt that I could mention it.

Month when this happened: January 2019

iPhone: 7

iOS: 12.1.2

iMovie: 2.2.6

Best regards,

Fredrik

iPhone 7, 12

Posted on Jan 28, 2019 7:03 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 13, 2019 4:46 PM in response to kirderf38

Thanks for the work around... but i really need apple to fix this. I dont have any slowmo clips, but i do have sped up ones and time lapses which im sure are causing a similar problem. Without them my edit is not going to work with all of the transitions that correlate to the music. APPLE PLEASE FIX IMOVIE. Thanks

Problem exporting from iMovie on iPhone (and solution)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.