Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes extremely slow on Windows 10

I've started using iTunes on my Windows 10 laptop to use Apple Music, and iTunes has been acting extremely sluggish. Even with barely any programs open, iTunes still manages to lag out. The app is barely responsive.

I hope there is a plausible solution for this and not someone just telling me "oh, your PC might be slow."

Windows, 10

Posted on Jan 28, 2019 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 6:50 AM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2019 6:50 AM in response to diistant

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Jan 30, 2019 6:16 AM in response to diistant

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities diistant,

I see that you're having an issue with iTunes being sluggish on your PC. I can understand wanting iTunes to work properly, and I'd be happy to help.

Let's begin by making sure that you're using the latest (12.9.2.5) version of iTunes.

Update to the latest version of iTunes

If you're already using the latest version, and this is the only application that you're having an issue with, you can uninstall and reinstall iTunes on your PC. The following article will guide you through those steps if needed.

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day!

iTunes extremely slow on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.