Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to Mojave and can't connect to internet via WiFi or Ethernet

Upgraded my MacBook Air to Mojave and I can't connect to the internet at all and the system is extremely slow. I saw many posts back in October 2018 but never any clear solution even though many users had the same issue. Did anyone come up with a solution? Any advice would be helpful.

iMac 21.5", 10.11

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 8:41 AM

I was not able to restart in "Safe" mode, but the following worked for me. I tried this earlier in my trouble shooting but had my spacing wrong. Once completed Mojave is working great and my machine is back to full functionality.

IMPORTANT: Make sure your spacing is correct when typing ls -l /etc/sysctl.conf into the Terminal.

A. If you can log in (even if slow), or you're still on High Sierra, and have not yet upgraded, follow these instructions:

1. Start the terminal app from Applications/Utilities

2. Check if the file exists, by typing

ls -l /etc/sysctl.conf

If this returns a result like the following, then the file exists. If it does not, then your issues are caused by something else

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 136 24 Nov 2013 /etc/sysctl.conf

3. Simply rename the file by typing in: sudo mv /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/sysctl.conf.bak

(You’ll be prompted for your password)

4. Restart your computer, and you should be all set, or if you've rolled back to High Sierra, you should be good to attempt the upgrade again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2019 8:41 AM in response to John Galt

I was not able to restart in "Safe" mode, but the following worked for me. I tried this earlier in my trouble shooting but had my spacing wrong. Once completed Mojave is working great and my machine is back to full functionality.

IMPORTANT: Make sure your spacing is correct when typing ls -l /etc/sysctl.conf into the Terminal.

A. If you can log in (even if slow), or you're still on High Sierra, and have not yet upgraded, follow these instructions:

1. Start the terminal app from Applications/Utilities

2. Check if the file exists, by typing

ls -l /etc/sysctl.conf

If this returns a result like the following, then the file exists. If it does not, then your issues are caused by something else

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 136 24 Nov 2013 /etc/sysctl.conf

3. Simply rename the file by typing in: sudo mv /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/sysctl.conf.bak

(You’ll be prompted for your password)

4. Restart your computer, and you should be all set, or if you've rolled back to High Sierra, you should be good to attempt the upgrade again.

Updated to Mojave and can't connect to internet via WiFi or Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.