Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail message preview not working

After many years of using Mail, I now discover that I cannot see message previews at the bottom of the message list, and nothing I have tried can bring them back. There is a little dot at the bottom, and the pointer switches to an icon that looks like it should enable grabbing and raising the bar at the bottom, but no such raising is possible. Any suggestions on how to restore that message preview split window?

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 12:35 PM

8 replies

Jan 30, 2019 3:11 PM in response to Mark LeBar

Thanks for replying, Mark, and that additional info, it really helps! Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Jan 30, 2019 2:45 PM in response to Mark LeBar

Hello Mark,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to see previews of messages in the Mail app on your Mac as you expect. First, check viewing preferences and settings, like classic layout, from these Apple resources:

Change Viewing preferences in Mail on Mac

Read emails in Mail on Mac

If you're still having an issue, restart your Mac and then hold the shift key while you open the Mail app:

How to turn on or turn off your Mac

Automatically re-open windows, apps, and documents on your Mac

Cheers!

Jan 30, 2019 4:39 PM in response to Mark LeBar

Thanks for trying those steps, Mark. Since you're still having this issue, you can make a backup of your personal data and put a fresh copy of macOS on your Mac using OS X Recovery mode, as that will overwrite these system files causing the issue.

Back up your files with Time Machine

How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

If this doesn't help with your issue with Mail, please contact Apple or go to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for further help.

Contact Apple Support https://getsupport.apple.com

Apple - Find Locations - Country Selector

Get your Mac ready for service

Take care!

Jan 30, 2019 3:00 PM in response to i_rina

Thank you for your suggestion. It is indeed Classic view that I am after, and where (until yesterday) I had had no problems for years. Now I am limping along with whatever the alternative to Classic is, but I'd like to go back. However, without message Preview that is tedious, and that's what I'd like to fix. I have experimented with just about every Preference setting that looks like it could bear on the matter without success. At the end of the day, if I click on the dot on the bottom of the list window, I get the cursor that looks like it should allow me to drag the dividing bar up to open the Preview window (that is, a horizontal bar with an arrow up from it), but does nothing.

I did try powering off the Mac, rebooting, and holding down Shift while opening Mail. It did nothing that I could observe, and in any event the problem persists. Do you have any suggestions for a Plan B?

Much appreciate the help! This is quite frustrating.

Mail message preview not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.